Trunk Mats

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach1cobra

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1
Hi Guys,

Whats the Difference b/w the speckle and plaid trunk mats that ive seen on ebay and other stores. There are also options of standard and Heavy Duty..

As i understand, the Mach1s did not come with Factory Trunk Mats? Is this correct? if so, whats everyone got as a Mat? Looking for ideas as whether to purchase the Scott Drake ones or go with something else..

Cheers!

you are correct, as far as I know just the Grande's came with mats, non of the others did, but they were available over the parts counter.

as for patterns I have the Plaid, I like the look, I have seen the speckle at car show's, it all depends on which you like.

i have the nylon material trunk mat that are like the floor mats and i like it and it feels thick.

correct no mach 1 mats from factory they just painted the trunk area with grey black speckle paint half way up the quarters

i bought a convertible aftermarket trunk carpet because i have a mach 1 without fold down seats.

the material on those goes way back up the trunk floor to the back seat brace.

the convertible version also has that 1968-1970 extra flap that goes over the trunk drop down on the drivers side and hides and protects the wiring for the taillights and fuel sender as well as the floor trunk harness.

so i bought the convertible trunk mat, sound dead-ner asphalt plate, then i made a drop down shelf on the drivers side to support the mat flap, and fitted and cut it.

i can take a pic if you want.

My 73 Mach had an original mat that was very much like todays modern carpet type material. I do not know if it was dealer installed or not.My car has the fold down back seat. I have discussed this before. Being young and dumb I ruined the mat by throwing tool box's and other stuff back there and ruined it. I also lived out of the trunk when I was traveling when I was in the Navy. I found some material that is very close to what was in the trunk when I bought it. The material is a gray / black / white "carpet". I have posted pictures of my trunk area under the 73 models on here. To the best of my memory that is the way it looked when new. Just thought I would add.

Back