Urethane Bumper ends help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M Beauchamp

Reaction score
My Car
1973 light blue convertible
351c 2V
Ok guys

I need a bit of help on the urethane bumper ends

What's the best way to sand them? just a tub of elbow grease?

I don't think I can use a paint striped?

Has anyone soda blasted these parts before if so how did they turn out?

What's the best way to fix the hair line cracks?

I have read that the original JB weld works but has any one used it or is there better products out there?

What is the best way to find all the hair line cracks?

I am thinking that if I put it in water dry the out side then the water should still weep from the hair line cracks and give an indication where they are.

I am sure I am into the same issues on the front bumper so I might as well get on with it.

c0248d59cabb301e7bc0e4031842b5b7_zps779ac9bb.jpg

eae0a1e55fbd1367f129ce7f448261e3_zpseacd2ffc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah my front bumber has many cracks. Not sure about how to go about repairing it. Thanks for posting as ill be watching this thread.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

I had a go many years as mine also had cracks and the odd chunk taken out...

I found this product which I haven't been able to find since ...it's just a tube of black flexible stuff...looks like silicone but dries and is flexible and paintable...

The brand had an eagle on it. Sanded and bogged the bumper ...primered it, painted it, and it's been good ever since...

I have sanded them with the DA. Sand blasting or soda would work. I have repaired them with pink bondo. There are many specialty products out there on the market. But I have perfect results with the basic bondo. Flex additive is recommended by the paint suppliers when painting the bumpers and such but, I have had no problems skipping that additive.

I just read the above note from JimNiki. I saw a two part mix at the paint shop for big chunks. I use the bondo on gouges up to 1/8".

Back