Cleaning white letter tires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code Mach 1. I am the second owner.
Tried a new way of cleaning the white letters and it worked better than expected. All I did was go over the white letters a few times with a magic eraser and then rinse the tire with water. Took me 20 minutes to do all 4. My wife told me I should try it to see if it would work and we both are happy with the result.

BFG-Before and After.jpg

Great idea! I'm gonna try that right now!

It does work well. I still need to get some bleach white, as my letters are still a little yellow.

before.jpgafter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
White letters are important to me...they "lift" the whole appearance of the car as far as I am concerned.

I typically have the best luck with Bleach-White and a wire tire brush, but stubborn stains come very clean with powdered Comet cleaner and fresh steel wool pad. Little bit of work, but its worth it to me.

I used the Bleach White, and I have used the Mr eraser, both methods work with great results.

And I totally agree with Kit, the white letter wheels make the car look much better.

sent from my Samsung SIII via TapaTalk

White letters are important to me...they "lift" the whole appearance of the car as far as I am concerned.

I typically have the best luck with Bleach-White and a wire tire brush, but stubborn stains come very clean with powdered Comet cleaner and fresh steel wool pad. Little bit of work, but its worth it to me.

I used the Bleach White, and I have used the Mr eraser, both methods work with great results.

And I totally agree with Kit, the white letter wheels make the car look much better.

sent from my Samsung SIII via TapaTalk
+1 (or maybe +2 :) )

Ray

I read in a Coker tire article that Bleach-White eats away at the white compound in the tire and you should never use it. They suggested Simple Green. The amount of time I have to drive my car in the summer they dry rot before I have had any problems.

Old school way of cleaning them is with some Comet scouring powder and a stiff bristled brush. Works fantastic IMO and no funky chemicals.

I've torn up many a scotch brite pad, SOS pad, etc cleaning white letters. One barely lasts all four wheels. And the chemicals are nasty. Don't get Bleche White on your bare aluminum wheels or it will etch the polished finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back