sound deadening....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dynamat is hardly new, but it is good stuff. A little pricy though.

When I "redid" my interior about 20 years ago, I stuffed the inside panels full of my homemade version of the soynd deadening materials that were factory installed in my 79 Lincoln MK-V: plastic bags stuffed with fiberglass insulation!

The Lincoln had these bags everywhere they would fit: inside the kick panels, rear side panels, rear sail panels, behind and under the rear seat, over the rear wheel arches, behind the fiber board in the trunk...everywhere!

So, I did that: I bought a few boxes of gallon-size heavy duty freezer bags, stuffed 'em full of the pink insulation, taped 'em shut with duct tape. And filled the interior inside areas with them just like the Lincoln.

It made an unbelievable difference!

Several people who have ridden in the car have made comments about how quiet it is.

It probably added 75 lbs or so of weight ( guessing), but I don't care. Much more enjoyable ride.

Type in "dynomat 36 bulk" or something like that in ebay and you'll find bulk packs of 36 square feet for about $120-150. It was worth it when I did my truck. You also don't need to do every square inch with it. Make sound judgement where you feel the sheet metal changes or separates and lay new patches of dynamat.

On top of dynamat go check out www.secondskin.com or google second skin audio. They are supposedly the best on the market and sell a mass loaded vinyl that lays on top of dynamat to get a luxury car silence when driving. I'm planning to do patches of dynamat on the bare metal, then a layer of the thick vinyl from second skin and hopefully it will ride like a Caddy! I believe 36 square feet is like $180 but I've heard nothing but rave reviews on other forums.

That's my $.02.

Check out b-quiet. As good as Dynamat and about half the cost from what I recall. I used about 80 square feet on my interior (floor, door panels, rear speaker shelf, rear interior quarters) and then laid factory reproduction insulation on top of that.

I did it mostly to get maximum audio quality from my stereo... and I can say that when I crank the tunes its like having headphones on... nothing rattles and the acoustics are excellent.

Is it worth it? Depends what your goal is I guess. I was restoring the interior, so it was 'now or never', and getting the best possible sound from my system is important to me.

On recommendation from QCode351Mach, I went with RAAMat - essentially the same stuff as Dynamat, but without all the extra ink for logos and stuff. http://www.raamaudio.com

37.5 sq ft of BXT II is only $109.95 - it would be a challenge to find a better price for Dynamat.

The Ensolite PS (the foam "second skin-like" coating), was chosen for dampening the air handlers and ducting for the Intermational Space Station training simulator - that's a pretty cool 'testimonial,' if you ask me.

I used more RAAMat than I probably needed in my car, but I'm thinking the thermal protection in the West Texas Broiler will be all worth it. I haven't actually gotten started with the Ensolite yet, but I'm thinking it's going to be awesome.

I used the eastwood thermocoustic. I really like it. Made a world of difference in road noise and in cabin heat. My feet used to cook from the headers, now I can wear sandals no problem.

I just bought 50 sq ft of 50 mil and hope it is enough. I may use allthe ideas here to dampen my car. the giant exhaust, full length headers and flowmasters I need to do something because I don't want to be deaf. I like the idea of insulation and bags stuffed and some duct tape. Good to fill holes for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back