Race red on 71 coupe?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71stangcoupe

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang coupe
I'm new to the forum but I bought a 71 coupe that I'm restoring and was looking at the new race red paint and was wondering if anyone on here had seen or had a 71-73 with that color paint. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hello. Welcome to the site. Check the "Gallery" tab at the top and you'll find many mustangs all shapes, sizes, and colors.

Furthermore, feel free to start an indruduction thread so we can give you a proper greeting and please share more information on your coupe! We love pictures too!

The newer "Race Red" is a pretty close approximation of the original "Bright Red" that came stock on these cars. It would look good, as long as you like that particular shade.

There are a few things about red to keep in mind: first of all, how good it looks depends a lot on what you are contrasting it against. Certain reds look good against chrome, others look better against black.

My opinion is that the brighter, "lipsticky" red looks best against some black to tone it down a bit, and the deeper "blood" colored red really pops set against chrome.

Also, use the lightest colored primer you can under the red, that helps it "pop" too.

Another consideration for any color, but mostly for reds and yellows is to see how it looks at night under flourescent lights. If you want to show your car a lot a cruise nights, it might be worth your while to take a few sample panels in different shades to a dark parking lot with big vacuum flourescent lights to see how they look.

Certain reds that look great in sunshine look deep purple and real crappy under flourescents.

These cars look good in any color. Really, I am not just saying that. Black, white, yellow, purple, pink, light blue, dark blue and red. it's hard to make them look bad.

The newer "Race Red" is a pretty close approximation of the original "Bright Red" that came stock on these cars. It would look good, as long as you like that particular shade.

There are a few things about red to keep in mind: first of all, how good it looks depends a lot on what you are contrasting it against. Certain reds look good against chrome, others look better against black.

My opinion is that the brighter, "lipsticky" red looks best against some black to tone it down a bit, and the deeper "blood" colored red really pops set against chrome.

Also, use the lightest colored primer you can under the red, that helps it "pop" too.

Another consideration for any color, but mostly for reds and yellows is to see how it looks at night under flourescent lights. If you want to show your car a lot a cruise nights, it might be worth your while to take a few sample panels in different shades to a dark parking lot with big vacuum flourescent lights to see how they look.

Certain reds that look great in sunshine look deep purple and real crappy under flourescents.
Great post. Very helpful and informative.

These cars look good in any color. Really, I am not just saying that. Black, white, yellow, purple, pink, light blue, dark blue and red. it's hard to make them look bad.
I agree, mostly. I think the place where some people really blow it is in the use of unorthodox stripes and other designs. When this is done well, it's very impressive. When it's done poorly, it looks like homemade ass. Unfortunately, most of the people who do it poorly are convinced they've created a one-of-a-kind masterpiece, and people around them are too polite to tell them otherwise. For stripes, etc., when in doubt, go stock. Ford paid talented people good salaries to design attractive paint schemes for these cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on more of a Candy Apple Red that I had on my 69 Mach back in the day, or the Red Candy that is on my 2010 GT. And I know it is not correct, but I also plan to give my hood the Boss paint treatment instead of the Mach treatment, I just like the blacked out hood better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back