mcline71's 71 mach 1 project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
1973 Grande
I started putting the car back together, kind of. I attempted to make a patch panel for the rusted out cowl area. I've never welded before or done body work so it's pretty rough but I'm slowly getting there. At this pace, it's going to be 30 years before the car is done.

DSCN2288.JPG

Well everyone starts somewhere-I don't see a thing wrong with your hammer and dolly work. Practice welding on scrap-even once you think you are "Good enough" to do the job. When your practice convinces you the job will be easy, it will. It all snowballs and eventually you drive it out around the neighborhood and get waves and thumbs ups and you get to say-yeah, I restored this car, one busted knuckle after another-I bought it with my sweat and blood and my vision

The majority of us learn the same way ...just do it ...don't let anybody tell you you can't do it...

The only person who will stop you from finishing the car is you...

Go for it.... And we want plenty of progress pics...

Look pretty good to me. The important part is that it gets repaired. I've never "restored" a car by myself before and my 73 is a love/hate affair. People in my family said it was a waste of time and that i could'nt do it or couldn't afford it. Now i like driving by their house insinuating the 1 finger salute to them all.

Like jeff said; when you roar down the road and people take second looks at you or give you the thumbs up the feeling is priceless. I've came close to giving up but i stick with it and the car slowly coming alongfor the ride.

Thanks for all the encouragement! Q, I think I've watched that video about 8 times, along with all your other videos. They are what made me realize I could probably do all that stuff myself.

A little bit more progress...Made a patch for the rocker panel and welded it in. Still needs work but for a first time welder I think it's workable. Just need to finish welding up a few areas and a little bit of filler. How does the saying go? A little filler and paint makes a welder what he ain't.

DSCN2660.JPG

DSCN2663.JPG

DSCN2666.JPG

DSCN2667.JPG

Back