I just drove a 2010 Shelby GT 500

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Coupe
Sorry I don't have any pictures. My next door neighbor, my buddy Rich, who is also a Mustang lover, just got a serious delivery... A red with black stripes 2010 Shelby GT 500. He bought it sight unseen from someone on the west coast and it just got dropped off about an hour and a half ago. I think he is still sitting in it playing with all the gadgets. He knocked on the door a little while ago let me take the wheel for a short drive. It was awesome!!! We took a drive out of our neighborhood, I took it up to about 90 shifting from second to third and slowed down quickly. It has a very short throw chunky shifter that will take some getting used to, given the long throws of my Hurst shifter. It was real smooth, the seats felt awesome. Has anyone else drove one??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have driven the '13 GT500 (662 HP!) several times, and my business partner has a '13 427 'Vette convertible, which I drive frequently...about the same performance as the Shelby.

Modern cars, and these cars in particular are the best of the best of what the manufacturers can offer the public, and they naturally showcase the 45+ years of technologiocal and mechanical advancements made since our cars were made.

To say that there is no comparison would be the understatement of the century.

Our classic cars were designed to perform as well as they could in spite of thier general-purpose basic design. These modern cars are purpose-built for the ultimate acheivable performance...and it shows.

I sometimes bite my tongue (can you imagine that?) when I hear someone with a classic car bench-racing, saying his "450 horse Camaro" (or any other classic car) could easily outperform a new Shelby, Vette, Viper, etc.

I love my old Mustang and it's "370 Horse" 429 Cobra Jet. It's a blast to drive, it looks great and it turns heads wherever it goes. It is a time capsule of an era that came and went, and it keeps me connected to my youth.

No new car can do that.

Does it bother me that my bone-stock 2012 F-150 (5.0 liter, 360 horse) is about as fast, handles far better than the Mustang and gets substantially better fuel economy?

Not even a little.

Last edited:
I drove my buddy's 08 Shelby gt500. Wow was it fun. he brought it over the day he bought it and it was crazy fast, couldn't go through the gears fast enough and I hit the rev limiter on more than one occasion.

Then he sent it out and had it lowered, bigger brakes another super charger put on it, cold air kit, exhaust ect ect.... the thing didn't even feel safe to drive... A small blip of the throttle would smoke the tires at 50+ mph its was a handful to say the least. With the traction control on it wasn't bad but hit the rev limiter ALOT.

Driving normal they are very comfortable to ride in, you think your in a normal car. But one blast of the throttle and your neck snaps back, you hit 100mph pretty darn easy.

Personally I love the new rides, but give me an old classic any day!! just something different about an old ride.... takes a special breed to drive on of those.

New cars have way more crap to go wrong woth them. That little tv in your f150 cost about as much to replace as I can get a set of aluminum heads on my windsor.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

One thing I like about this site is we don't have some misconception that our cars were the 'be all end all' performance cars. They were good in their day, no doubt. But 40 years of technology is hard to beat.

I love my car. I so enjoy driving it. It has a certain 'feel' to it that modern cars do not. But it doesn't handle as well, it isn't as comfortable, it isn't as quiet and it isn't as powerful as the 'muscle' cars of today.

What would be a ballpark figure on a 2010 GT500? just out of interest here in Aus

Hey Luke... not sure what it would cost in Ausy world... but I think my neighbor paid $33K here in the good old US of A. I would image you would have to pay about $3 or $4K to get it shipped. Not really sure.

What would be a ballpark figure on a 2010 GT500? just out of interest here in Aus

Hey Luke... not sure what it would cost in Ausy world... but I think my neighbor paid $33K here in the good old US of A. I would image you would have to pay about $3 or $4K to get it shipped. Not really sure.
Cool its a mid 70 grand car here. Got some family that are doing some training at bases in Texas and Fort Bragg. They are not into cars but can bring 1 back for free.

Cool its a mid 70 grand car here. Got some family that are doing some training at bases in Texas and Fort Bragg. They are not into cars but can bring 1 back for free.
Maybe they could bring a few back and sell them...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I thought about that. We are getting the 2015 mustang so I believe that when that happens it will burst the bubble on all the late GT500s. I like the idea of a new purple shaker challenger in my drive way ;)

Back