Coupe to fastback

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I know this is for a '67/'68, but on Sunday in PowerNation:Detroit Muscle, they are going to make a fastback from a coupe.

Well there are doing it in that show on Sunday. I figured one could use the info and do it with a '71/'73.

Lol I keep seeing that same post on Craigslist when I look for mustang parts. It'd be cool but way too expensive and complicated.

For the longest time this has been for sale on craigslist. Thought about a possible conversion for about 2 seconds, then realized how hard it would probably be!

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/4429064397.html
From the looks of that clip, it appears as if some of the crucial inner structure was chopped off in the process of removal - especially the bits around the wheelwell. Those are the sections that you really need in the first place, as it'll guide the entire roof clip during the swap and provide the unibody's primarily link between the roof and rocker panels.

Note the structural design of the Sportsroof unibody:

2i0y848.jpg

With the Dynacorn reproduction quarters now available, the only thing you'd probably gain with that would be the roof section, upper structure, and trunk/rear window lower crossmember.

However, as I've said before too many solid '71-73 Sportsroofs are out there to justify a conversion like this. One fellow did do a coupe-to-convertible conversion, but he also had the ideal situation: A rust-free coupe, and a complete convertible donor car which was rusted from the bottom up, not from the top down. It was still a heck of a job though, and the build necessitated him to have a machine shop form new inner rockers (convertible specific) for the coupe for structural strength.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO I don't think we are at the point with the 7173's that one would want to go through a coupe to sportsroof conversion. Sportsroofs are redily available all over.

True.. I just thought it was interesting. Especially considering some if the great body work if seen on this site. I also have a '68 coupe. I couldn't afford a fastback at the time and I have had the car for so long (and put a ton of work into it), I couldn't imagine getting did of it. But a fastback conversion? I'll at least check it out.

I would do this conversion in a heartbeat if I had a piece of crap fast back and a southern coupe with a 351 4v in it

When I went through the coupe to see how hard it would be to convert it to a convertible, it was very obvious that these are the exact same cars up until the last few parts are welded on the body

On this site I have seen more nice coupes get cut up to save a fast back that should have really been a donor car.

It's probable a different situation up her in ontario the land of the salted winter roads as as most of these cars are rusted beyond repair

Funny thing. I personally wouldn't consider parting out a nice coupe for the sake of another car, and I wouldn't convert one into a Sportsroof, either. The coupes are great looking cars in their own right, with plenty of performance heritage (heck, Shelby Terlingua car is a coupe), and the 71-73 Coupe/Grande is especially beautiful.

I agree as for the way the coupes look. I've had my '68 coupe for about 20 years. I just always wanted a GT-500 clone (Not Eleanor). As for the '71-'73 cars, I just thought it was a feasible option for those that did want a fastback.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree as for the way the coupes look. I've had my '68 coupe for about 20 years. I just always wanted a GT-500 clone (Not Eleanor). As for the '71-'73 cars, I just thought it was a feasible option for those that did want a fastback.
I really do get it. I'm just saying I wouldn't do it. I'm happy to have a pretty good 1972 Mach 1 to work on, but I really think the 71-73 Coupe body is more aesthetically pleasing than the Sportsroof body. I think we 7173 Mustangers are a minority of weirdos here, as most dismiss ours as the "big Mustangs" or the "ugly Mustangs." That being the case, a little persistence will always turn up a suitable Sportsroof or Mach 1 for less money than it would take to convert a Coupe into one.

I can certainly respect that. I just thought it was a nice option.

I think we 7173 Mustangers are a minority of weirdos here, as most dismiss ours as the "big Mustangs" or the "ugly Mustangs."
Vive la différence - three body styles, and not one of them looks anything like the other.

We've got something for everybody!

-Kurt

Back