How to store unused iron heads?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machlovin

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Hi Guys,

I picked up some freshly redone iron 4v CC heads that I hope to use in about 2 months. What is the best way to store the heads to prevent them from rusting? I was thinking of wrapping them in oil soaked rags or something along those lines.

Thanks!

Best way is to keep them inside your home and out of the cold moist air " if you have a understanding family that is " hehehe

I keep my heads in my spare room till im ready. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
you can drop them in a drum of oil or spray them with oil then wrap them in an oil soaked blanket and put them in a big sealable plastic container or bag. or send them to me and I will store them on my car for you:p

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to use a rust preventative spray like Rust Check, however I wonder how hard it will be to clean off. I might use Pam as suggested by Jeff and stick them in a sealed bag.

Consider using Boeshield T-9. Developed by Boeing many years ago. Works great. Spray them, let them dry for a day, then bag them.

Chuck

+1 that stuff works really well. If you spray it on areas that will later need to be painted you'll need to do some scrubbing or the paint won't stick...but it's better than rust. If you're only storing them for 2 months, use a very, very "light" coat for easier cleaning.

I knew one guy he was storing spare parts under the bed.

Years later, his wife left him...

But anyway, moisture is this enemy.

Best way is to keep them inside your home and out of the cold moist air " if you have a understanding family that is " hehehe

I keep my heads in my spare room till im ready. ;)

I found a spray can of fogging oil that I had. I spayed them with fogging oil and then wrapped each individually in sealed garbage bags (double bagged). Should be okay for 2 months or so.

they will be fine- I have a couple of unprotected sets of 2v heads that have been sitting in my humid basement for years unprotected by anything more than the oil on them when they were pulled off of engines and they don't have a spot of rust. I think the oil soaked cast iron is fairly rust resistant

Back