vinyl vs cloth

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2+2=GT350

Reaction score
My Car
1972 red mustang convertible 302 fmx auto std int black 1965 fastback 289 (work in progress 1996 red convertible
Went to Auburn today and seen a few 71-73 mustangs with cloth tops. My question is how many members have cloth or vinyl and which they like better. Looking for pros and cons on both. I know cloth is not OEM, not a concern to me looking for durability, fit, BRAND, not plastic vs glass rear window, just what you think of your top and if you would go with that brand or material and which you think is better and why. Thanks for your input. I currently have vinyl with glass window which was on my car when I bought it and I'm looking at replacing with cloth, will I regret it or not?

Image_00032.jpg

Image_00034.jpg

Image_00021.jpg

Image_00022.jpg

Hi,

Last year i imported a new Robbins black vinyl top with glass backlite for my '73 vert, and am very happy with the whole thing for appearence, quality, fit, durability and easy to keep clean factor. Mine was professionally installed.Also, it's got to be glass for the back. Plastic is cheaper, but not as practical as glass in any way. Robbins brand is a good choice for quality and price i feel.

I'm no expert on cloth tops for Mustangs, but i think cloth is harder to keep clean and maintain than vinyl is. Some brands of cloth attract and hold lint in the grain and that can be a pain to remove. I use a high pressure air gun to remove lint and debris from cloth tops in the past, and that works fairly well. However, cloth can look pretty cool on the Stangs. Just my 2 cent's worth!

Greg.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Austinvert, this is the kind of input I am looking for! Keep it coming please.:)

I was originally going to go with the cloth top but changed my mind because it didn't look vintage when I seen it up close. I'm doing red with a black out hood and a black spoiler so I think the vinyl will match better as well. I'm going to go with Robin's as well. From everything I've read their great top.

Back