HEI distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quizno

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang 351 Cleveland 2v
anybody have any suggestions on a HEI distributor installation? Are these distributors any good????

HEI design has been around for many years. It is so popular due to its reliability and good performance. The only weak point in the unit is the rotor which is prone to burn thru the center which allows the spark to jump to ground and resulting in a no-start.

I plan on upgrading my own point system to the ignitor system. I would use the HEI but I want to keep my engine compartment looking stock. (Personal preference)

HEI design has been around for many years. It is so popular due to its reliability and good performance. The only weak point in the unit is the rotor which is prone to burn thru the center which allows the spark to jump to ground and resulting in a no-start.

I plan on upgrading my own point system to the ignitor system. I would use the HEI but I want to keep my engine compartment looking stock. (Personal preference)
thanks I appreciate the info.

I got a HEI for mine...I have not installed it yet..Great bang for the buck!! Give ya more spark then you will ever need...Bad points " does not work with some air cleaners nor ram air units "

I just installed a pertronix - wow! night and day. very sensitive to adjustments - so far very happy with it.

sorry, can't say much about HEI - other than what cwithers said - stock look vs. chevy look

I've got a couple of no name brands sitting at home. I wanted to check them out for performance.

Yes, they do the job. But if your motor is healthy and running fine, don't expect much more.

I eventually went with a name brand with adjustable weights...

I find the big cap to be ugly. But I do run one in my 82 cherokee on the 401 v8. I take the jeep off road a lot and the HEI is pretty reliable and simple. I carry a spare module, cap, rotor and coil just in case.

I run a flamethrower right now but its to large and interferers with the stock NASA hood air breather.

I ordered a Mallory unilite and will let you know how the trade off goes.

I have a Ford Duraspark ignition from a late 70s 460 in mine. It has worked flawlessly for 30+ years, and gives much better and more reliable performance than the OEM "points & condensor" system ever could.

The Duraspark system uses a spacer adaptor on top of the distrubutor so that the larger-diameter distributor cap used in the Duraspark system will fit on the standard-sized distributor base. I belive they did this so that there will be more distance between each contact point inside the cap to reduce the possibilty of spark "crossfire".

However, by simply not using the spacer/adaptor on the distributor base, a visually correct-looking 71-73 era distributor cap can be used.

This will give a near-perfect OEM look to the distributor, and a little judicious locating of the Duraspark ignition module/box in a covert place will complete the subterfuge.

I have never had any issue with misfires due to spark "crkssfire" even though I use the smaller cap.

Of course, since then the "Pertronix" electronic ignition conversion module has become available and has been very popular for many years.

I put a "Pertronix" unit on my 73 302-powered Grande about 20 years ago and have never had a single issue with it. Works great. Took about 15 minutes to install from " hood up to hood down".

It all fits neatly inside your stock cap, so it looks 100% original, except for one additional thin wire coming out of the distributor. This is not noticeable to most, and is easily hidden if you want to do so.

I recommend the Pertronix.

Ordered and installed an HEI in my 429. Haven't fired it up yet but I chose the HEI due to the simple one wire install. Like someone said before, you will probably have to change to a small air cleaner and in my case, I had to order a special water neck because it is so big it interferes with a normal looking 429 water neck. Not a big deal. Look up Ford HEI on ebay; I got mine for $49.99

I rebuilt my 351C in my '72 fastback and went with a cheap Proform HEI from Summit Racing.  The bad part was that I could never get more than 28 degrees of total timing no matter what I did with weights or springs.  I ordered a DUI from Performance Distributors in Memphis and gave them all my specs so they could custom curve it for maximum performance.  I tried to install it last weekend but the distributor housing that lives below the block deck is too big (diameter) and while it goes through the hole in the block, it hits some internal casting about 1.5 inches into the block and will not go any deeper.  I have been emailing back and forth with Performance Distributors, sending them pictures and measurements, but I don't think I am any closer to getting this resolved.  I'm getting that feeling like they are not going to stand behind their product.  The housing is .066 larger than the Proform distributor and the last email from them was that their distributor is the right size for a 351C and the smaller Proform housing is the spec for a 302 engine.  To fix it I believe I will either have to remove the intake and radius out that part of the block with a carbide bit and Dremel tool or somehow turn the housing down .066 in a lathe.  At the risk of hijacking this forum, has anyone else had this issue?  Any other ideas out there?

I have to look at a lot of different ignition signals. By far the 'dirtiest' is the Pertronix. Cleanest are MSD (computer generated) and Duraspark, but the MSD box pulls ALOT of voltage as RPM increases.

GM HEI modules are dirty too. So much so that they had to run a signal filter on them from the factory to stop 'tach bounce' in the factory tachometers.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/assets/illustrations/corvette/46137.jpg

Supposedly the 'newer' (post '75) HEI modules don't need the filter but I'm not sure if they moved it to the tach or cleaned up the new module.

If you run an HEI distributor and get tach bounce you need to install the filter.  If running an MSD box with an HEI distributor you will not need the filter - if you have it remove it.

In order of dirtiest to cleanest:

Pertronix

HEI

OEM Points

Duraspark II

MSD-6

Last edited by a moderator:
I rebuilt my 351C in my '72 fastback and went with a cheap Proform HEI from Summit Racing.  The bad part was that I could never get more than 28 degrees of total timing no matter what I did with weights or springs.  I ordered a DUI from Performance Distributors in Memphis and gave them all my specs so they could custom curve it for maximum performance.  I tried to install it last weekend but the distributor housing that lives below the block deck is too big (diameter) and while it goes through the hole in the block, it hits some internal casting about 1.5 inches into the block and will not go any deeper.  I have been emailing back and forth with Performance Distributors, sending them pictures and measurements, but I don't think I am any closer to getting this resolved.  I'm getting that feeling like they are not going to stand behind their product.  The housing is .066 larger than the Proform distributor and the last email from them was that their distributor is the right size for a 351C and the smaller Proform housing is the spec for a 302 engine.  To fix it I believe I will either have to remove the intake and radius out that part of the block with a carbide bit and Dremel tool or somehow turn the housing down .066 in a lathe.  At the risk of hijacking this forum, has anyone else had this issue?  Any other ideas out there?
I did the same thing as you. Started with the cheap Chinese HEI. I was able to get the timing right but snapped the shaft in 1/2 after about 1,500 miles. Then went with the DUI custom set up from performance distributors. I had no fitment issues at all and it works great. Timing curve is spot on. I did have an issue with the plug wires they sent me. Had the 90 boots on them which don’t work with a Cleveland running headers. They replaced them immediately via next day air. Odd yours is not fitting. What is the casting number on your block?

Back