Hello from Indiana

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang H Code Mach 1

Hello all, I'm an old dog looking for new tricks. I've had my '72 since '83 and its been dormant for 24 of those years. Mostly because it wasn't for the first 7, lol. Anyway, I joined because although in my youth I was the '72 Mustang king (youth makes things distorted that way) and now the Mustang and "hot rod" world has become such a new and wondrous place that I don't recognize it anymore. I am astounded by the aftermarket parts availability and the following these cars have gathered. When I left the scene these cars were bastard children of the Mustangs. To find sites like this and people like yourselves gives me a renewed feeling of promise for my old ride.

< he braces for a flogging >

When I abandon my Mustang I had big ideas. although they are still there they really need some polishing. Reluctantly I'm going to ask for some opinions. First off, forgive my ignorance, as I sit here surfing the forums I have come to realize that I can't remember what my Mustang is (code). However, tomorrow I will. Regardless of its true livery, this is what it is as it sits. It's a 1972 sportsroof with no motor, no trans, no rear-end, no paint save for primer. Because it had been "hot rodded" early in life it didn't have the original engine or transmission and had been face planted into a tree and parked. I bought it ah la 1970's complete with thrush mufflers, 10" rear spring shackles, air shocks, pom pom ball fringe glued around the interior, and a fun fur dash. The only option that I know it had was a 3/4 vinyl roof.

It has only minor sheetmetal issues (rust) and a mountain of unoriginal parts. I'm going to withhold my thoughts so the aforementioned opinions aren't remain pure.

The only thought I'd like to interject is that I'm looking at this as a clean sheet opportunity to be creative.

So, here are a few first round questions.

1. would you Restore or Restomod?

2. What is the general thought on "clones", "tributes", "fakes", when presented openly as such?

3. At what point does a basically stock car garner a restomod label?

Welcome from Northern Indiana, If you post your VIN some of these guys will tell you if its valuable or go one step further and get a Marty Report and confirm. If it is restore the Mustang. If its not, do what ever you please to it, its yours. Thats my 2 pennies. Welcome to the site, there are a lot of great people on here.

Welcome from western Tennessee! ::welcome:: In my opinion, if the car is a run of the mill Mustang, resto-mod is okay, but if it is more of a rare bird, then restoration to original is the way to go. As go time said, getting a Marti report is the first step.

Welcome from virginia! Like others have stated, if the car was indeed a rare car i could see restoring to original. If not restomods are cool too. My car is a run of the mill car but i want to build it the way i want it. Some things are going to be kept original, others not so much. Appearance I'm going for clean stock looks but most of my money will be spent building the suspension and chassis bracing. Build it how you want it, its yours and no one here will critisize you for it. (small jokes aside) We're a pretty respectful bunch and any 7173 saved is better than one going to waste.

Sportsroofs generally would make good candidates for restomodding-though in truth I think the Mach 1's are more common.

Our cars benefit from some updating when driven in modern traffic conditions. A restoration can get quite involved and expensive if you are seeking true factory correct components throughout.

I would submit that what you have is an opportunity to make many improvements as you build your car. Before you start, I suggest you try to define your goals and desires for the car.

I'll throw out a few thoughts, these aren't exactly suggestions, just a way of showing some of your many options.

an 8.8 explorer rear end with 3.73 trac lock gears and disc brakes can be picked up for less than the cost of a rebuilt 9" center section or a set of conversion disc brakes of inferior quality. If you want an upgraded rear suspension, now would be the time to consider it.

A fuel injected engine can be retrofitted from any number of donors for under $2K-you can't build an engine for that. While you are at it grab the 5 speed that is attached to it or a 4 speed automatic if you prefer and get overdrive. Now that 3.73 gear allows all the power with little sacrifice in mileage on the highway. engine/transmission combos with computer and sensors are common on many sites-inspect and test!

If your seats are shot-upgrade! I spent probably 6-700 bucks on new foam and TMI seat upholstery for mine and now I want more modern seats-that money would have bought them without any of the hassle of tearing apart and putting upholstery on my old frames. And I could have sold my old ones!

It may be possible to make many other upgrades using cost effective items, once you define your goals.

So, here are a few first round questions.

1. would you Restore or Restomod?

2. What is the general thought on "clones", "tributes", "fakes", when presented openly as such?

3. At what point does a basically stock car garner a restomod label?
Welcome from coastal Alabama! Be sure to add a pin on our member map under the Fun Stuff tab at the top of the page.

Ditto to everything Jeff said. Good job Jeff.

My personal answers are:

1. Restomod since you're missing the entire drivetrain. It will never be a matching numbers car again. Essentially it's a blank canvas so I say have at it.

2. These are all fine and could be desirable (in terms of selling your car) if kept tasteful.

3. If we break the word apart restomod would be a restored car that has been modified from stock. What that means is many different things to different people.

Welcome from northern California.

It is a tough call how much to spend and to what degree.

As mentioned above if it is "rare" then you may what an all

out Concours job $$$. Then you need to define "rare" and in

whose eyes. I drive a '71 Grande, yawn inserted, but has an

M-code engine and 4 speed toploader. Only made 100 of these,

is that rare? We are engaged in a "restoration" and are keeping

it as close to original as possible but nowhere near Concours correct.

mike

Welcome to the club from northern Nevada. Post up your VIN and we can tell you a lot about your Mustang.

As Jeff said, define your goals for the car. Daily driver? Strip monster? Burnout king? Trailer queen? That will help you a lot.

All the members here support what YOU want to do with your car, and will not look down upon you for your desires. I went with restomod for my 'vert, because I wanted more power, and I won't be parting with it until I die (I hope :) ). What someone else wants to do with her, I don't care.

As mentioned, I would get a Marti Report for it, which will provide a lot of information about options and rarity. Be sure to post it up here when you get it.

Keep us posted, and put up a pic or two when you get a chance.

Welcome to the site from Virginia.

I bet your glad you held on the car all these years and are finally getting around to fixing her up.

As others have said, since the original drive train is missing maybe restomod is the way to go, unless, your are looking for the nostalgia of how the ride was back in the old days. I've kept my 73 original for the nostalgia of it.

Hi and ::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe!

If you look at my car, you won´t be surprised when I say restomod it unless it´s a really rare car.

I wanted mine to look cool and handle as good as possible because I use it as a daily driver during the summer season and I like to drive it like I stole it.

Tributes and clones are cool in my book too as long as nobody tries to sell them for something they are not.

I´m jonesing for a Roadrunner but I will not pay the extra dollars for that little letter or number in the VIN. Gimme a Satellite with all the right decals and added options for 60% of the price of a real one and I´m happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back