New member from Illinois

Last930

My 13 year old son and I have recently acquired a 1971 Mach 1 project car. All metal work done, mediocre paint, some interior work done. Will need lots of work, but have 3 years to do it! Plan is to make it a mild custom styled after road racers

Of that era. Got two engines with the car - both 351C 's; one is original in pieces, the other (in car now) is supposedly a '69 Cougar engine. Has Fmx trans, open to swapping for stick or?. Would like 400 plus horsepower, but goal is to be streetable. Will need new hood; probably convert to Ram Air. Has drum brakes now, would like at least front disk brakes.

We're located in the Chicago suburbs. We'll do some of the work ourselves, but will need to farm out some also.

Any direction as to parts sources, local service expertise, etc will be much apprciated!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome from TriCities WA.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

My 13 year old son and I have recently acquired a 1971 Mach 1 project car. All metal work done, mediocre paint, some interior work done. Will need lots of work, but have 3 years to do it! Plan is to make it a mild custom styled after road racers

Of that era. Got two engines with the car - both 351C 's; one is original in pieces, the other (in car now) is supposedly a '69 Cougar engine. Has Fmx trans, open to swapping for stick or?. Would like 400 plus horsepower, but goal is to be streetable. Will need new hood; probably convert to Ram Air. Has drum brakes now, would like at least front disk brakes.

We're located in the Chicago suburbs. We'll do some of the work ourselves, but will need to farm out some also.

Any direction as to parts sources, local service expertise, etc will be much apprciated!

::welcome::w/my experience w/the NASA hood, might want to look at a fiber glass one as the stock hinges not strong enough to last very long for the xtra weight. Or @ $800 for a billet set, or if one from a truck hood that might fit.? Ps, Virginia Classic Mustang Auto Parts has a phone number, something like Blue Ridge Mustang....that has a large salvage yard with 71-3 mustangs-Ohio Mustang had a lot at one time, too.
1_12_09_14_11_07_03.png

Welcome to the forum from Ontario Canada.....Don at OMS can hook you up for a lot things parts wise plus take a look at the forum classifieds.

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

PSS, mine is a 400 horse pounder but it took a lot of good money after bad of which in any case I would have should have gone w/the 2 1/2 inch from the Hooker Headers through the x-pipe and muffler. Then whatever size re: 2 1/4 inch will not matter, still get all the 'no back pressure' performance and fuel efficiency for your 400 hp and the easiest way would be w/2 four bangers into a 3.27 rear axle or spending the more for a 5 speed then you can add a 3.5 rear and still see decent mpg. see my COTM March for next year or my photo album for my going to an R-code from a Q then a 9.5 compression to a 700cfm EFI to 2 barrel intake manifold to keep high torque at low speeds, thennnnnn w/my 4 speed, a Gear Vendors Overdrive to deliver 1900 rpms at 55mph cruising. Whatever you do,if you opt for EFI later, look into a tank that has baffles in it.
1_12_09_14_11_07_03.png

Mustang Masters above St Augustine fl has a lot re: mustangmasters.com

1_12_09_14_11_07_03.png

Welcome from western Tennessee! ::welcome::

Ron

The Rickster, a 1973 Mach 1, being restored as a tribute to my brother who passed away with COVID in July 2020.

Billy, a 1976 Ford Bronco, also needs a lot of work.

El Guapo, a 1986 F150, frame-off Resto-Mod.

Also, in the queue, a 1950 Ford F1 Panel truck and 1962 Falcon Ranchero

Welcome to the site from Virginia. Sounds like a great project for you and your son.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Welcome from west Michigan!

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Welcome from Perth Australia. Sounds like a good project with your son.

1973 Q code mach1

Now living in Australia

Mustang Masters above St Augustine fl has a lot re: mustangmasters.com

Mike in PA - have you used mustang masters ?