Power Steering Pump

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
Looks like I need to change the power steering pump on the 1973 302 with A/C.

While I've done some things on the car, I really haven't climbed into the engine compartment in years and really don't want to start again. So with that said the stang will be going into the shop.

I'm looking at pumps and wonder if anyone has bought one like this off ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Steering-Pump-Reman-Cardone-20-6174-/331132942221?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1973%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item4d190fb78d&vxp=mtr

I see that they have 2 302 choices. What's the difference?

Thanks

If that is free shipping and no core charge that is a good deal, I've have good luck with cardone parts. Not sure about the two listings for a 302.

Been doing some reading.

My pump isn't making any noise. So is it possible that the leak could be caused by a bad hose and only that needs to be replaced?

Very possibly either one of the hoses or connections. The return hose is connected to the pump with a hose clamp and over time the hose deforms under the clamp and can leak.

You can pick up a rebuilt Duralast power steering pump at Autozone for $58.00 and return it if you have any problems of it not fitting right or issues with it. If they don't have it in stock they'll have one shipped in within 3 days or ship it directly to your home for no charge. There's a $18.00 core charge is you don't bring in your old one. I know this since I just did it last week, mine was starting to moan so I'm switching it out before it fails.

Jim

pump.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As Don C said, find the source of the leak before you start buying parts. Those old Ford pump are almost bullet proof unless you run them very low or dry. I've rebuilt a few but, almost not worth the effort unless it is a concours restoration or you just want to keep it as original as you can.

Chuck

I've seen pinholes develop in the case and cause leaks, on ours we just replaced the original and moved on after having that problem. Definately check out all of the hoses and fittings, make sure everything looks good.

Back