Alignment?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
Where do you guys typically take your cars for alignment and what is the cost?

I called some of the typical places like Firestone and they wouldn't do it.

I'm in NJ so anyone from North Jersey chime in.

Thanks

We have a shop here that has been around for a long time (Wiltse's) that will align just about anything. Most modern racks are computerized and cannot compensate for suspension mods. Many of the folks on other sites are purchasing their own gages and doing it themselves. Good luck!!

I am not in NJ and here in Memphis we have a lot of alignment shops that are willing to handle the job.

As Jeff stated above, some folks are doing it themselves. Dependent upon whether or not you are willing to make the investment for the equipment needed, you may want to consider that option.

Below is a link to the October 2006 Mustang Monthly magazine which may help you in making a decision.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0610_ford_mustang_alignment/tools.html

Hope this helps!

BT

Thanks guys, Went to a tire place and they did it for me.

It drives straight but the steering weel i not at center position.

That drives me nuts!!!
So, pull the wheel off and check the position in relation to the steering column. While you have it off, you'll discover that there's a notch on the steering column and the center top-most spline of the steering wheel should match up to the notch. If it's off, then most likely the wheel had been taken off and repositioned before.

If the steering column itself is off-center (notch not in the top-most position when the steering is straight), then take it back to the alignment shop and have them adjust it again until the notch is at the top and center the wheel as necessary.

If it were me, and the car's driving well, I'd just pull the wheel, and reposition it to where it won't drive you nuts. ;)

I just had my 72 done. Believe it or not VIP Auto did it. I told them to straighten my wheel since it was way out. They should do it w/o asking. Its typically part of the alignment. I would bring it back and tell them they forgot to straighten the wheel. They shouldn't charge any extra since they should have done it in the first place. Good Luck!

Back