Any interchange between Coupe and fastback?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 429 Super Cobra Jet, 4.11, Detroit Locker
Let me know your feedback on this question from the well of your exoperience: What parts interchange between the 71-72 Coupe/Grande and the fastback/Mach 1?

Bumpers? Fenders? windows? Doors?

Thanks for your feedback

Let me know your feedback on this question from the well of your exoperience: What parts interchange between the 71-72 Coupe/Grande and the fastback/Mach 1?

Bumpers? Fenders? windows? Doors?

Thanks for your feedback
I think everything you mentioned except for the door glass

Are coupe/fastback windscreens the same??
No, I found out the hard way. My first was a 73 fastback with a smashed windshield. I paid $500 for tHe whole car, and a new windshield then (1990) was the same price. I finally found a coupe in a junkyard and for $25 they let me cut the windshield out myself.

Spent the day doing that carefully, took it home, dropped it in the prepped opening, and it was about 2" too tall!!!

We had nothing to lose in trying to cut it. We flooded it with water and went at it with a cutoff wheel. Made it about 7/8 of the way across before it cracked.

So, to make a long story short...NO :)

True... Coupes are taller, that's why the door window does not fit either.... We ca assume the aluminium trims arround every glass doesnt work either...

Carpet is the same??

The thing to keep in mind when considering interchangeability of the Coupes with the Fastbacks is that the roof lines are different. Anything that "connects" or otherwise make contact with the roof line will be different.

As previously stated, the doors interchange but not the door glass and the deck lids are also different. Most other body parts, suspension, rear ends, engines, brakes, transmissions, are all interchangeable between the two body types. This would include most interior parts, other than fold down seats (unique to fast backs) and sail panels (which connect to the roof).

It should also be noted that many Cougar parts are interchangeable with the Coupe/Grandes.

Hope this helps.

BT

Back