Cobra Disc Brake conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

I am researching the 2004 Cobra front Disc brake upgrade kits for the 71 - 73 mustangs. One reason behind the upgrade, is that I helped my friend install the Cobra front Calipers and 13 in rotors to his 2004 GT Mustang. Wow, it made the 73 mustang front disc brake rotors look very, very small! I have read all of the threads on the forum and wanted feedback from the forum members.

Has anybody recently used the either the Mustang Steve adapter kit or used the Vintage Venom kit?

mustang7173 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the baer Ironsports 11.65's

the parking brake sucks-otherwise it is a fairly clean and simple design and installation. It is said that it will clear some 15" wheels-maybe so, but not any I have found yet.

Wheel clearance is a major concern. 13" rotors will require at least a 17" wheel. If you intend to build major power in the future, really big tires don't come in 17" sizes. If you intend to drag race, slick availability in anything besides a 15" wheel is limited.

The Mustang Steve parts sure seem nice-and he seems like a good guy too.

I'm not a fan of chasing down parts-but if you are, locate the rotors and calipers before deciding on the kit you are going to use. Also keep an eye on sites like www.newtakeoff.com for some occasionally great deals on parts. I think they have 2005 front brake rotors for 89.00 a pair delivered right now. They used to have complete rear ends brakes and all in multiple gear ratios for about a grand depending on the gear ratio. That was a killer deal.

Vintage venom offers you the advantage of getting it all in one place at one time.

If you can weld or are willing to have someone who can modify your rear axle housing there are a whole world of additional opportunities.

Jeff,

The baer Ironsports 11.65's is real nice kit. Not too expensive either. The idea behind buying all from one is the appealing part of the Vintage Venom kit. Trying to get decent stuff at a reasonable price is sure tough these days. But, as they say, you get what you pay for.

On the http://www.newtakeoff.com website, than you for the link. I will definitely keep my eyeball on this one. I will post updates on which way I will go in this project.

Thank You for the response.

mustang7173

All,

I am researching the 2004 Cobra front Disc brake upgrade kits for the 71 - 73 mustangs. One reason behind the upgrade, is that I helped my friend install the Cobra front Calipers and 13 in rotors to his 2004 GT Mustang. Wow, it made the 73 mustang front disc brake rotors look very, very small! I have read all of the threads on the forum and wanted feedback from the forum members.

Has anybody recently used the either the Mustang Steve adapter kit or used the Vintage Venom kit?

I did the street or track cobra conversion on my q code as did Xoliex..

Heres the rears

http://www.streetortrack.com/Cobra-rear-bracket-kit-for-8-or-9-small-big-Torino-bearing-8.8-rear-ends-pr-24456.html

I don't see the front kit on his site anymore but I did buy his kit from him so you could email him & ask..The one thing you need to watch with the other kits is that the front wheel gets moved out..(changes the track width) The kit Shaun (Street or track) makes retains the factory track width

Hello Q,

Was it one of these kits?

http://www.streetortrack.com/Brakes-c-103.html

mustang7173

All,

I did the street or track cobra conversion on my q code as did Xoliex..

Heres the rears

http://www.streetortrack.com/Cobra-rear-bracket-kit-for-8-or-9-small-big-Torino-bearing-8.8-rear-ends-pr-24456.html

I don't see the front kit on his site anymore but I did buy his kit from him so you could email him & ask..The one thing you need to watch with the other kits is that the front wheel gets moved out..(changes the track width) The kit Shaun (Street or track) makes retains the factory track width

All,

Qcode351mach made a valid point. Now, i got to thinking, if you install the 2004 Cobra Calipers with the 13 in rotors, you will need to install larger wheels. This would include 2004 Bullet type 17 inch wheels that would require at least one inch spacers for clearance.

Source: http://www.vintagevenom.com/mustange-disc-brake-conversion-kit-faq.htm#why-is-the-rotor-spacer-used

Does the spacer change my front track width?

Yes, however not by the amount of the spacer thickness. The deeper offset of the SN95 wheels compared to the original vintage Mustang offset keeps the track width change to a minimum. Your wheel center will only be moved out ½" per side from its stock location. Again, this is required to fit a 17"x8" wheel on the front without hitting the upper control arm, no matter how you go about it.

So, Currently, I have the stock 1973 disc brakes with the 1 inch Eibach spacers with the 17 Bullet wheels. By the way, I have them on the rear also to make the track equal. This might be a problem since I have spacer on the back.

more research is needed-

mustang7173

yes i did do the swap and its works fabulous! if you want details, i am more willing to help via telephone at the moment. some of you know what happened to me and some don't, for the ones that do then you understand.

just to be real quick, the swap does including you adding some additional brake tubing or completely rebending your own. don't be scared to bend your own lines because its super easy if you have brake line plyers thats 3/16 and a double flaring tools. those tools are cheap.

and yes you have to use 17s literally, but there are ways to use a 15 like i did but i was using a skinny. for the rear you can use a 15 if you limit your backspacing but it'll say you need to run a 16.

the brakes are a ton better than aftermarket brakes but they are large.

Hello Xoliex,

Glad to see you moving about-I hope you have a speedy recovery. So, I went back to yours and Qcode351mach threads to see what was purchased. I see he purchased the full kit and you got the brackets plus the purchases from Rock Auto. There are a lot of kits around. There are a lot threads about the rear disc brake conversion, with a few of the large cobra upgrade. I will send you a PM with number, if you feel like talking.

Thank you fro replying per your condition.

mustang7173

Hello Xoliex,

Glad to see you moving about-I hope you have a speedy recovery. So, I went back to yours and Qcode351mach threads to see what was purchased. I see he purchased the full kit and you got the brackets plus the purchases from Rock Auto. There are a lot of kits around. There are a lot threads about the rear disc brake conversion, with a few of the large cobra upgrade. I will send you a PM with number, if you feel like talking.

mustang7173
Actually no, I only bought the brackets & everything else from rock auto ebay..I supplied Xoliex all the part #'s from rock auto..But he can give you all the info..I have no spacers at all on my q-code BUT I'm running 18" staggered wheels don't remember the offsets off the top of my head..When you push the front out 1/2" you need to watch the outside edge of the tire hitting the front fender wheel lip..

Q,

Please accept my apologies on the previous thread. I understand which kit was purchased from Vintage Mustang.

A thought! Mustang Steve brackets were aluminum and now they are steel.

Thanks You!

mustang7173

Hello Xoliex,

mustang7173
Actually no, I only bought the brackets & everything else from rock auto ebay..I supplied Xoliex all the part #'s from rock auto..But he can give you all the info..

All,

Pulled the trigger on the Cobra Disc Brake upgrade. I looked at Rock Auto and Summit Racing. Summit Racing offered free ship after $99.00.

Summit Racing- Parts Purchased-

Cardone 18B4888 - Passenger side front- SVT COBRA - A1 Cardone Remanufacture - $58.97

Cardone 18B4889 - Drivers side front- SVT COBRA - A1 Cardone Remanufacture - $58.97

EBC Brakes EBC USR7021 Series Sport Rotors - Pair - $ 212.22

http://ebcrotors.com/p-224-ebc-ultimax-rotors.aspx

The only bad part is having to dish out $ 114.00 Core Charge. The Cobra Calipers are not just sitting around waiting to be picked up!!

Next, Which Mount bracket, Mustang Steve's or Vintage Venom!

Hello Xoliex,

mustang7173
Actually no, I only bought the brackets & everything else from rock auto ebay..I supplied Xoliex all the part #'s from rock auto..But he can give you all the info..I have no spacers at all on my q-code BUT I'm running 18" staggered wheels don't remember the offsets off the top of my head..When you push the front out 1/2" you need to watch the outside edge of the tire hitting the front fender wheel lip..
only difference between his and i's kit is he used the OEM drum brake spindles and i'm using OEM disc brake spindles. i think the drum brake spindles uses a disc brake bracket that is UNALTERED from the factory. the disc brake brake bracket is slightly modified and already bolted to the new special made bracket.

I did the same Cobra brake upgrade on my '89 5.0, but it required new spindles. I used Hawk HPS pads and 17" wheels all around. It does work very well and it stops very confidently now.

I've been looking for big brake upgrades for my '71, but mine is originally a disc brake car and most systems are designed based off of the drum brake spindles. I'd love to see a solid upgrade for the disc equipped cars. I've got a new set of 17" wheels for the '71 now.

How about the spindles offered by Total Control?

All,

My 1973 Coupe has the original disc brakes spindles. I found a set of 1970 mustang spindles along with the hubs. I have purchased the Mustang Steve kit, 1994-2004 COBRA 13" Disc Brake Conversion for Classic Drum Spindles or MII Spindles,

http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html

The brackets are made of major steel.

One problem I am currently having is locating the 2003-2004 Cobra PBR Calipers. I am looking for the Cardone A-1 Remans. to help keep costs down. I have found several used sets on E-bay for $399.99. Folks, they are getting scare.

Found these http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/94-04-Mustang-Brake-Calipers for $449.00

and

found these http://discbrakesrus.com/make/ford/cobra.htm plain for $ 389.99. They state that they are new.

The Cardone A-1 Reman PBR calipers are on back order until they receive cores.

mustang7173

How about the spindles offered by Total Control?
I didn't see any spindles on their website for '71-73, but I do see a 13" performance brake kit that is designed to work with stock disk brake spindles. It's ideal, but the cost is still pretty prohibitive at around $1500. Also, I've never heard great things about long term street durability of the Wilwood calipers. What I'd like to see is a retrofit for the OEM disk brake spindle using late model Cobra/PBR calipers.

Another option for OE disc brake spindles is the Street or Track setup... it's quite nice as well, albeit a bit overkill for street prowling machines.

Back