#2 watertemp sensor on 351C engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne Skrivervik

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1
418 C aut
I need some advice where to put the water temp sensor when mounting MSD Atomic EFI on my 351(now418)C engine. I planned to keep the old sensor on the block next to the thermostat (if possible)since the stock tempgauge (in my 71`Mach)seems to work just fine. I am also curious of Your experience with the MSD unit. The proform 850 will soon be resting on the shelf and I hope to get some better mileage since gas is rather expensive round here..

Thanks. Arne.

I need some advice where to put the water temp sensor when mounting MSD Atomic EFI on my 351(now418)C engine. I planned to keep the old sensor on the block next to the thermostat (if possible)since the stock tempgauge (in my 71`Mach)seems to work just fine. I am also curious of Your experience with the MSD unit. The proform 850 will soon be resting on the shelf and I hope to get some better mileage since gas is rather expensive round here..

Thanks. Arne.
For my MSD system I put the MSD sensor on the block for a more accurate engine temp reading. I put the OEM sensor on the water pump. There is a removable plug there with the same threads so its a quick change. The OEM water temp connector is also long enough for the new location. This set up worked very well for me.

Just to add on my build thread you can see the location of the OEM sensor. Just below the MSD black connector you can see the new brass temp sensor on the water pump. They are real close to each other.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-bojo-s-73-project?page=28

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks. Arne.
For my MSD system I put the MSD sensor on the block for a more accurate engine temp reading. I put the OEM sensor on the water pump. There is a removable plug there with the same threads so its a quick change. The OEM water temp connector is also long enough for the new location. This set up worked very well for me.

Just to add on my build thread you can see the location of the OEM sensor. Just below the MSD black connector you can see the new brass temp sensor on the water pump. They are real close to each other.

It was so close that I didn't see it...Thanks.

Do You run a fuel system with or without a returnline and regulator?

Thanks. Arne.

It was so close that I didn't see it...Thanks.

Do You run a fuel system with or without a returnline and regulator?
Arne,

I have a return with a regulator. I used the fuel vapor return line that goes to the top of the gas tank as the return path. It works perfectly. So far I like the MSD EFI system and eventually I'll wire it up to control the ignition timing too. On my build there are pictures of where I put the fuel regulator in case you are going that route too.

Back