351c thermostat question..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I know this question has been asked before. The thermostat I purchased looks correct but when I put it in the block, it doesn't sit flush. It bottoms out before that. I would actually have to push it down for it to sit flush. This is not correct, right?

I know this question has been asked before. The thermostat I purchased looks correct but when I put it in the block, it doesn't sit flush. It bottoms out before that. I would actually have to push it down for it to sit flush. This is not correct, right?
Correct it's not right...You need a robertshaw 333-180 if it's a cleveland

Ok. Thanks.. Does anyone else make one?

Thank you. Do they offer a 180' thermostat? Is that something I can get from Kragens, Autozone, Pep Boys?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you. Do they offer a 180' thermostat? Is that something I can get from Kragens, Autozone, Pep Boys?
The Robert Shaw Q referenced is a 180 degree high flow tstat. It is available from Flowkooler for about 20 bucks.

Napa THM 197 is a standard flow 180 degree with the correct "hat" style plunger for a cleveland.

Put simply:

Wrong at left. Right at right.

rib49v.jpg

-Kurt

Since I use a Robert Shaw 333-192 my engine reach the normal temp. before was mounted another style of thermostat and opened at 160°, the engine was not warm at it should.

Figures.. ?

I love the 393w in my coupe..

Flowkooler says they are no longer available
Did you call them ? I ran into the same issue trying to order on the site..Called & ordered no problem..that was about 2 months ago
Puzzling!.. I emailed Flowkooler on 24th March asking

"When will you have new stock of the Ford 351C Thermostats ?"

And got an email back from 'Lee' in their 'Sales & Technical Help'

that stated

"Robertshaw has ceased production"

Stupid Cleveland.. So the Cleveland thermostat is that different?

Stupid Cleveland.. So the Cleveland thermostat is that different?
Yep. It has a "cap" at the bottom which mates up to the brass passage restrictor/redirector plate inside the block. It opens at the "bucket" on the bottom, though someone better versed in the design can tell you the purpose of that.

These are some photos I took when I bought one from Flowkooler. No difference, but the "cap" on the one to the right had been press-fit too deep (something to be aware of when purchasing one). It was sent back:

robertshaw_333_192_2.jpg

robertshaw_333_192_4.jpg

robertshaw_333_192_5.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:

The Robert Shaw Q referenced is a 180 degree high flow tstat. It is available from Flowkooler for about 20 bucks.

Napa THM 197 is a standard flow 180 degree with the correct "hat" style plunger for a cleveland.

I just purchased the NAPA THM-197 for about $6. It certainly does work much better. My car now runs consistently at around 210'. This seems like a lot. Am I wrong?

Since this car has sat for so long (about 10 years), is there anything (service) I should/can do to the radiator? Is there's something I can do or do I have to have it done by someone?

I just purchased the NAPA THM-197 for about $6. It certainly does work much better. My car now runs consistently at around 210'. This seems like a lot. Am I wrong?

Since this car has sat for so long (about 10 years), is there anything (service) I should/can do to the radiator? Is there's something I can do or do I have to have it done by someone?
It is a little hot. How are you measuring it?

A cooling system flush might be a good start.

I have an AutoMeter temp gauge.

Back