Seam sealer inside cowl?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machlovin

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Here's a pic of my cowl. There appears to be seam sealer around the 'chimney' portion. Is this from the factory or a repair job? My cowl doesn't leak, BUT the floor boards on the driver's side were rusty.

IMG_1095 copy.JPG

Nope that's rust and a patch job. Don't fret though because that cowl looks 100% better than most cars that aren't restored our from dry states.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

I appears to me that someone applied something after several years of service. That ridge line that is about 5/8" away from the hat riser appears that it could be formed by something being behind it. Like as if there was a heavy dirt collection there when painted. Then maybe sometime later the dirt and most of the riser disappeared, leaving this ridge. All this from a thirty second evaluation. It seems possible. Never seen those colors in factory painted cowls.

Looked again, missed putty in the first look. Had to enlarge pic. All appears to be aftermarket. But you should be pleased with conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen those colors in factory painted cowls.

Sorry, the flash and dust/dirt makes it look white, the inside of the cowl is actually black.

Here is another pic:

The cowl area on the outside does look like it was painted, so it must mean that it was repaired at some point. Which I guess is good news.

IMG_1098 copy.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back