Tire Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRL

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
I have a 72 mustang and my marti report shows original tires to be E70X14. Currently I have the magnum rims on it. I assume the original spec'd tire will fit on the magnum rims? Any thoughts on brands and best source?

If it is a 14x6 wheel, a 225x60x14 is about all you should put on the wheel. The choices in 14 and 15 inch wheels is shrinking every year.

Chuck

This interchange info is from Tire Rack and tells you what the current P-metric tire size is equivalent to the original alpha-numeric:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.html

I was asking about wheel size because in my other computer I have some pics of my old 72 with 225/70/14 BFG's on 14x7 stamped steel rims. I can post them next when I get back to that PC...

If the car came with 14" tires stock, then it also came with steel wheels stock.

No 14" Magnums were ever fitted to a 71/72 Mustang. Only 15"Magnums were available, and always optionally...which required an upgrade to F60/15 tires.

Of course, in 73 things were a bit different: no 15" wheels or tires were available of any kind, either standard or optionally.

14" steel wheels standard on every model, 14" aluminum mags available optionally on most models.

No magnums available in '73.

My '73 had 235/60/14's on the stock wheels when Dad bought it. They had a little bulge, but the extra tread width was nice.

IMG_09061.jpg

My 1972 convertible came with E70x14 white sidewall tires and wheel covers. I would like to go with the magnum wheels - were they an option for the convertible?

I think 15" Magnums would have been, and they would have had F60x15 tires on them.

As was stated above, no 71-73 Mustang would have been available with a 14" Magnum wheel. I think the rims that are out there were used on later 70's Mercurys and maybe other Ford products...

Magnums were an option on 72 convertibles at a cost of $107 as can be seen on this car's invoice below...if ordered as an option they came with a spacesaver spare F78-14.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnums were an option on 72 convertibles at a cost of $107 as can be seen on this car's invoice below...if ordered as an option they came with a spacesaver spare F78-14.

Thanks! That is very helpful.

JRL,

Just to add a bit more to help...the original F60x15 tires with the Magnums (rim size 15x7) is equivalent to today's 235/60/15 tire.
Perfect - thanks again.

Just a note: Magnums and 15" tires only available with V-8 engines. No 6-cyl coupes, sportsroofs or converts could have Magnums.

Just sayin'...

Has anyone purchased wheels and tire kit already balanced from CJ's PonyParts?

Back