1972 Grilles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRL

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Have a 72 with a 73 grille and sport lamps. I bought the 72 grille repro with sport lamps and found the proper sport lamps. The hood latch hole in the grille on a 73 is left of center and the hole is in the center of the grill on the 72 - is the hood latch different between a 72 and 73? The 72 grille has 6 screw holes in the honeycomb around the grille ornament. I don't see anything on my car that would line up with these holes. Any pics on a 72 grille regarding these areas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Hello,

I have a 73 Mustang with the 73 grille (bad conditon). I ordered a 71/72 mach1 grille, gave up.

Finally I ordered a 73 mach1 grille (thank you Don from OHIO), bingo.

Don't know if it helps you... but I did...

Hello,

I have a 73 Mustang with the 73 grille (bad conditon). I ordered a 71/72 mach1 grille, gave up.

Finally I ordered a 73 mach1 grille (thank you Don from OHIO), bingo.

Don't know if it helps you... but I did...
My car is a 1972 so I would like to go with the right grille on it - wish it was a 73!

Don't have pictures yet. But the hood latches are different on 73s. The grill supports and standoffs are different also. The best direction would be to get the upright mount attached to the radiator support and everything to the plastic grill. Latch, standoffs, grill brackets(sometimes one,sometimes two) it get from a parts car.

Have a 72 with a 73 grille and sport lamps. I bought the 72 grille repro with sport lamps and found the proper sport lamps. The hood latch hole in the grille on a 73 is left of center and the hole is in the center of the grill on the 72 - is the hood latch different between a 72 and 73? The 72 grille has 6 screw holes in the honeycomb around the grille ornament. I don't see anything on my car that would line up with these holes. Any pics on a 72 grille regarding these areas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
The 71-2 hood latch has a short square handle

73 has a long skinny handle

They will not interchange

On the 6 holes

Early 71'2 has dual mount grille brackets - the used the outer four holes

Late 71 and all 72's had one grolle bracket and used the two center holes

Plus there were different brackets for standard grilles too

73's all used the same single bracket - it is about an inch or so too long for a 72 - angle might be slightly different too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back