Engine/Transmission Compatibility

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoot302

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mach 1
'72 Mach 1
I am about to pull out a 351c engine that is in bad shape out of my mach 1. I am either going to rebuild that engine or opt for a larger 429 rebuild. The current car has a automatic transmission and I want to convert it to a manual. I am not sure what trans can go to which engines.

Can a manual trans originally on a 429 align to a 351?

No, sorry, but the 351c and the 429/460 do not share the same bolt pattern !

although i'm a big fan of the bigblocks i would suggest to rebuilt the 351c if it's possible.

You can built a hell of an engine out of them and a stickshift matching it will make you smile all day long :) ... i do, just came back from test drive on the first sunny warm day this year on dry roads :)

uv

No, sorry, but the 351c and the 429/460 do not share the same bolt pattern !

although i'm a big fan of the bigblocks i would suggest to rebuilt the 351c if it's possible.

You can built a hell of an engine out of them and a stickshift matching it will make you smile all day long :) ... i do, just came back from test drive on the first sunny warm day this year on dry roads :)

uv
I apologize I thought 351c and 351m had same bellhouseing:s ::new:: :udaman: I learned something!

Thanks a lot. I have been on this forum for a few months reading as much I can as I accumulate the funds for a rebuild. I plan on taking the engine over to a machine shop soon to get an idea of what my options are.

So what your saying is that the bolt pattern is different, but can that be solved by a different bellhousing? Or is this really going to be a pain to make happen?

You could get creative and find a 400M engine, which is essentially a 351C stroked to 400 and with 3.0" crank journals. You could take the 351C-4V heads and bolt them directly to the 400 block, drop in a fat cam, intake, headers, and you'd easily hit almost 500 hp and 500 ft-lbs of torque without having to do anything special and using stock parts. Just make sure you replace the 400 timing chain with a quality NOT STOCK unit (stock is retarded 8 degrees, gives 400s the nickname 'boat anchor').

You could get creative and find a 400M engine, which is essentially a 351C stroked to 400 and with 3.0" crank journals. You could take the 351C-4V heads and bolt them directly to the 400 block, drop in a fat cam, intake, headers, and you'd easily hit almost 500 hp and 500 ft-lbs of torque without having to do anything special and using stock parts. Just make sure you replace the 400 timing chain with a quality NOT STOCK unit (stock is retarded 8 degrees, gives 400s the nickname 'boat anchor').
Yeah the pre-1971 quench chamber heads would do it.

Back