Can't get heater core out of box...housing already removed.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

After finally getting up the courage to remove my heater and a/c housing assembly from under the dash I did it today. Was not that bad as everything was pretty much already out of the way.

I have the housing split apart and was going to remove the heater core to replace but cant figure out how to get the temp blend door in center of pic out of the way/off. The heater core is below this door. Comments appreciated.

1247itk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The blend door shaft comes out next. Remove the round clip on the back carefully, it needs to go back on. Then there is a screw holding the shaft to the damper. Work the damper off the shaft. Then pull out the heater core.

judge...thanks much. I know that is what the shop manual says but I can't find a screw anywhere?? Any ideas or a pic of where it is?

The blend door shaft comes out next. Remove the round clip on the back carefully, it needs to go back on. Then there is a screw holding the shaft to the damper. Work the damper off the shaft. Then pull out the heater core.

Jeff,

I don't remember any screws but not 100% sure. I think that I just wiggled the shaft out of the plate. On page 4 of my build I have pics of the parts, this may help you.

-john

I checked a spare case this morning. After removing the round retainer clip, I spread the damper blade slightly about 1/32", then I rapped on the end of the damper rod a few times with a small hammer. It popped through the lone rear hole and moved about 3/8" inside the damper blade. I expect I could work it the rest of the way.

Update...

I got the rod removed from the door. There is NO screw even though shop manual says there is. Maybe was on earlier year cars but not my 73. The door was crimped on the rod and I pried apart like judge said and it came out.

Thanks guys.

One day everyone of us needs to go through this job, I did mine (without AC).

Good luck...

So everything is back together?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back