New from Cordova TN 72 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottenralph

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Bright Lime green Mach 1. Has 351c 4v heads with Holley manifold and summit 650 cfm carb, power steering, Power disc front brakes, FMX 3 speed auto tranny, and A/C. The car sits on 17 inch Eleanor wheels with 225/45 front and 245/45 rear. Car is nice bust needs some love under the hood.
20140319_145541_zps9cbae5de (2).jpgI just bought a fairly clean Bright Lime Green Mach 1 last week and I am sure I will spend a good bit of time here learning the nuances of the 72. I had 2 65 coupes and this is my first Fastback. The car looks great but does not currently run great. I will be asking a ton of questions on tuning. The PO looked to be building a beast but never got it right. It has full length headers, flowmaster exhaust with 3 3/4 inch pipes, ported manifold, MSD ignition, and who knows what else. Does not smoke but carb is suspect for sure. Looking forward to learning. I also have a Harley Sporty that has been with me since birth in 1993. I like my toys.20140319_145553_zps62e152e5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing that car posted here a while back. Good to see that it brought us another forum member! Welcome!

FYI, if I recall right, the end caps were slipping down the quarters and rubbing the trunk. If they still are, take the opportunity to adjust them before the rumbling damages the paint.

Anything specific that seems "off?" Can you get us a clean audio/video clip?

-Kurt

I will post more on the weekend. I know the rear bowl is overfilling and the carb is leaking at the back freeze plug on the bowl so I will buy a new carb and start with new. It sounds like it has a loose rocker arm or bent pushrod because I only hear it on one of the two rear cylinders. That is what the end of my screwdriver says. The MSD ignition wiring also needs to be checked. I have a dead short that killed the battery but I found that and now the battery is o'k. The car just needs some TLC. I changed plugs, wires, rotor, voltage regulator and it does not want to start. I will check for spark when I am less frustrated. Right now I have a boat load of parts coming to fix the interior, drop the car to a more normal stance with Coys Eleanor 17 x 8 wheels and some other goodies to make it look like I want it to look. I may scrap the MSD and carb and start over. Distributors and carbs are not that difficult and new will take away some of the guessing. May go with Distributor with built in Coil. Not sure yet. Have Mustang meet in 2 weeks in Memphis so I need to be able to drive there and make it home without embarrassing myself. I also ordered the stripe kit to tone down the look also. May have matt black painted gloss to make it easier to clean. Matt black on roof sucks. I bought it for what I would consider a low price so I have room for paint on the black surfaces as well. Update Just ordered a carb from Summit. Guess I will find out if my Holley was crap or alternator.

Here is a picture of my last Mustang I sold 3 years ago. I sure liked that color. Here is a before and after pic. 224741_1843291734338_7372699_n.jpg6572_1138388912208_1774574_n.jpg[/align]

::welcome:: to the forum from San Diego! This place rocks and you will definitely find more help than you could have ever wanted on here. Good looking car, I like the paint scheme.

Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Sounds like you are jumping in with both feet to get her ready for the show in 2 weeks. Keep the updates coming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Welcome from a couple blocks east of you in Fisherville, TN. You found the right site to share your adventure in making this car the one you want as well as keeping us posted on your progress. Let us know whenever we can help. You mentioned the mustang show, which one are you referring too? Maybe we could meet up there.

My wheels arrived today. The lady I bought them from neglected to tell me they were 17x8 for front and 18x9 so now I had to order 2 more tires. I got a good deal on the wheels and I am o'k with the 18's in back. It will look really purty for sure. Just want them to stay inside the fenders unlike the po's view of what looks good.

It is an H code but I am not sure if it is the original color. If it is not I can tell you they hid it well because I can't find a spot on this car that is not green. I will get the marti report if that is what I need to tell what I really have. I know that the engine has 4V heads and other adders for HP. I am going to drive it for a while and then decide if I am going to get it painted back to the stock paint configuration. If it is truly a unique car I will treat it as such and work my way back to stock minus the wheels. Besides paying 60 bucks for a report, is there any other way to learn what the car was delivered with. I would like to know if the front discs are stock or an add as well. Where do you get production info for these babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back