sdstang's 73 vert project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I figured I would finally start a project build post. I started 10 months ago and most of that time has been spent in tear down and detailing the engine bay, aprons, undercarriage and trunk. I’ve also started detailing the various parts and hope to start reassembling soon. The car will have every piece restored or replace. I’m trying to make it look original when reasonable with obvious modifications.

The car started off a somewhat clean but rust free 1973 convertible h-code, FMX. Car was originally special order brown, ginger int, and white top (very much regret not waiting for a Q-code or at least a red one). I’m changing it to:

Exterior: VW tornado red with black top, functional ram Air, front/rear spoilers, slotted OEM wheel with backup 16” torque thrust II for driving,

Interior: black int(changing out all int pieces to black then re-die.)

Drive train: Engine was freshly rebuilt 8K ago so I will only detail that(Only has a RV cam so one day I might mod it out but not for now). Has 4 barrel edlebrock intake and carb. Trans will be a 4r70 conversion. Rear end is Currie 3.5 limited slip.

Exhaust: Pypes, with Hedman headers.

Suspension: Eaton 1” lower rear spring, Grab-a-track 620 1” lower front, Scott Drake CA’s with Opentracker roller preaches.

Steering: Redhead quick ratio steering box rebuild with Moog steering part to finish off.

The pics are my progress so far. Special thanks to everyone from the site that has help me along the way but particularly Mike(mach71351c) and Jeff(jeff8877) as I call them every other day!

I included a pic of a car that I'm shooting for. Not sure if I'm going to do the blackout on the bottom.

Updates to continue!

20140518_143622.jpg

20140524_202205.jpg

car two.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0436.jpg

IMAG0506.jpg

IMAG0573.jpg

red pic.jpg

20140528_114434.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. First I want to say that it's about time you started a thread for your car. I want to keep up to date with your progress. Second, Your story sounds almost the same as mine (Same song, second verse). PLEASE don't hesitate to call me with any questions or concerns you might have. I'm not afraid to share information. I can hardly wait to have our cars side by side for a little photo shoot! Keep up the good work! She's a beauty!

-Travis

OK. First I want to say that it's about time you started a thread for your car. I want to keep up to date with your progress. Second, Your story sounds almost the same as mine (Same song, second verse). PLEASE don't hesitate to call me with any questions or concerns you might have. I'm not afraid to share information. I can hardly wait to have our cars side by side for a little photo shoot! Keep up the good work! She's a beauty!

-Travis
Thanks Travis!

I see where you are going to change the interior to black. Are you going to keep the seats original style, or will you update them for a more comfortable fit while keeping the original style seat covers? (Does that question make any sense?)

Travis

I see where you are going to change the interior to black. Are you going to keep the seats original style, or will you update them for a more comfortable fit while keeping the original style seat covers? (Does that question make any sense?)

Travis
I was going to use the original seat. I though about doing the sport sport style from TMI but changed my mind. I want the deluxe stitching but want to have a solid leather(not the confort waive pattern that all the venders sell) so I might go custom. That's a year off so I might change my mind again.

-Jim

This thread is worthless without advice from Mike and Jeff...lol.

Congrats Jim, going to be one nice car. Glad your moving along.
If they only knew!rofl

Well It's about time! Honestly the pics don't give it any just of how much work you have done so far. Nice job Jim.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it, told my wife I eventually want a convertible too, and a Mach one... I would like to get all the SD guys together sometime to hang out and BS. I am in Rancho Bernardo near Mike.

I like it, told my wife I eventually want a convertible too, and a Mach one... I would like to get all the SD guys together sometime to hang out and BS. I am in Rancho Bernardo near Mike.
Hey Nik, I will be at "cruisin grand "tomorrow around 5pm. I'm sure Jim would come out if he is free.

Hey Nik, I will be at "cruisin grand "tomorrow around 5pm. I'm sure Jim would come out if he is free.
Sure I'd make it.

Back