71 Sportcoupe rattle problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 MUSTANG MACH 1
426 HP 351W/AOD
I have the most annoying rattle but it's not the trapdoor. it's coming from the panel right beside the trapdoor on the passenger side. I can't even figure out how to remove the panel much less fix the rattle.

Any suggestions??????

Could the trapdoor be the lid of the glove box? Maybe? I dunno.

I had a similar problem on mine. A very annoying sharp rattle on the passenger side.

With mine it was a little area of the inner door panel rubbing against the dashboard. (That vertical panel that is "at the end" of the dashboard). I rubbed some household soap on it and it was gone.

It could also be the dash pad that came a little loose and is now moving.

Such things are always hard to figure out, especially from a distance.

Best is to proceed by trial and error. Have a passenger hold the door slightly open when you drive. If the rattling stops, it's the door rubbing somewhere, if it doesn't stop.... well, at least you know what is NOT causing the problem.

Remove the dash pad and drive, and so on.

Narrow it down.

That's how I found the problem.

Good luck!

Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing, but we always called it the trap door. It's the door on a fastback that opens into the trunk and serves no real purpose that I know of except that it allows you to put your skis onside the car.

As for the panel, I can't take a picture because the car is not here this week. But on each side of the door which opens into the trunk their is a trim panel. You know the ones some kid ruined by cutting a whole into them the 80's for a speakers.

best pic I could find on the web. Rattle is coming from the passenger side back panel by the trapdoor

folddownrearseat21.jpg

Ok,

Just forget, what I posted above...... except maybe for the narrow it down part, that is. :rolleyes:

THAT'S one thing that will not rattle on my convertible! (Probably the only one though..) :s

is the panel built into the plastic armrest/quarter covers? Mine is not a fold down rear seat. Can you get someone to ride back there and press/hold against it till it stops and then look from the trunk side for screws/bolts.

is the panel built into the plastic armrest/quarter covers? Mine is not a fold down rear seat. Can you get someone to ride back there and press/hold against it till it stops and then look from the trunk side for screws/bolts.
No, It's the panel right behind that one. And I think there must be some missing or loose fasteners, but I can't even figure out how it fastens in much less tighten or replace fasteners. :(

Mine was rattling there and it turned out to be one of the exhaust pipes just barely touching the body in the axle hump.

Back