which year fender

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
I took off my 73 bumper and was trying to mock up the 71-72 chrome one I have when I noticed the fenders were different. Which fender is which year? (I'm assuming that one is a 73 and the other is a 71-72)

Here's the only differences I could find.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Thanks for looking

Driver side is a 73 fender. A good metal worker might be able to cut and reweld the depression to be close to that of the 71/2 fender. Probably best to get a new one as yours seems to have already had some damaged repaired and more to be done.

So would it be easier to just get 71-72 fenders? it seems to me that it would look better if I used 73 fenders because then I wouldn't have that rubber filler. Also does my driver side 73 fender have the wrong extension on it, it seems a little short.

Jayson - you might save some headaches by using the Search box and look for numerous previous postings on this subject. There has been a lot of folks wanting to make this mod on their 73's.

Best of luck!

Ray

I have searched on the site for the conversion and have found a number of threads on the subject, some of which I posted on. I just didn't know which fender was what on my car and if the fender extension on my 73 driver's side was incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to use the chrome bumper. You will have to get the arms and cross member used to support the bumber. Also different is the lower valance. And the point where the valance attaches to the hood latch support is different and will need slight modification. A generous part of the 71 valance will be exposed as the bumper will ride about 3" higher. So this may appear strange without lights down there (unless you go all 71 up front). I'm pointing these things out just so you'll have more info prior to choosing a direction.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to see which year fender I can find for it at a decent price and go from there.

yes your fender extension on the 73 fender is for a 71-72

73 fenders interfere with propoer positioning of the 71/2 chrome bumper-even if you manage to fit it and line it up it still will be 1 1/2 low and will not clear the lower lip on a 71/2 grill

Well I'm planning on using a 73 grill or making a custom one. Also I'm using 69-70 bumper brackets and it seems to place the bumper pretty close to where I need it. Like I said it really comes down to which year fender I can find at a decent price.

Thanks for info and answering my newb questions.

You have a 73 fender on the DS and a 71-72 fender on the PS

Don't even try to weld up a piece, I had a good 71-72 fender for my 73 and though it could be done however the notch on the fender is different as well as the inner sheet metal, so I never tried to modify the fender because I would not have been happy with the hodgepodge.

I just ended up swapped a guy for my 71-72 for a nice 73

I am just at the point of fitting the fender , bumper extensions, fender extensions, light boxes and must say that I am glad I have the proper fender as there is to much going on in the front corner to mess with

Good luck

Back