Removing Door Glass

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
2001 Coupe
To remove the glass from the door...do I need to drill out the rivets on the bracket that attaches the glass to the guidebar, or is there some puzzle-like trick that I'm missing to remove the glass from the door with the bracket still attached?

Thanks.

Mark

To remove the glass from the door...do I need to drill out the rivets on the bracket that attaches the glass to the guidebar, or is there some puzzle-like trick that I'm missing to remove the glass from the door with the bracket still attached?

Thanks.

Mark
Mark, I don't think you can remove the door glass without removing the bracket from the glass. With the glass rolled up there are 3 nuts that secure the bracket to the glass. They are accessible through cut outs/notches at the top of the door. Don't loosen the bolts that hold the white plastic slide to the bracket. There are also 2 rubber coated L shaped stops that need to be removed. You may have loosen/remove the 2 felt covered guides at the top of the door. One at the front, top of the door and one at the rear, top of the door. Disengage the 3 studs on the glass from the bracket. Angle the window down in the front and work the glass out of the door. It can be done alone but the glass is safer if another person holds the glass after the glass is unbolted from the bracket. Once the glass is back in you will need to adjust the 2 guides and the 2 stops. Don't shut the door hard until you are sure you have the adjustments correct.

Good Luck,

Chuck

Also 71-2 glass is bolted to the bracket

73 glass is riveted to the bracket, rivits have to be removed, drilling is a pain, use cut off wheel to remove the rivet end / head [ they are aluminum ] then is can be tapped out

Don

Don knows his Stangs!

73 glass is riveted to the bracket, rivits have to be removed, drilling is a pain, use cut off wheel to remove the rivet end / head [ they are aluminum ] then is can be tapped out

Don
Thanks, Don. That's perfect, since my original 72 doors are going back on the car, but I started stripping the doors from my 73 donor first. They looked like rivets at first, but when I looked closely it appeared that there are threads on them, but I'm guessing now that those are just tool marks left at the rivet was driven in.

Hi Mark,

I was just stripping the doors off my 73 today and wondered how you were able to remove the handle (both interior and exterior)? It seems like there is a nut on the end of the cable-like rod that attaches the handles and door lock. I was able to get the window and hardware out of the door, though couldn't get the handles off. It's all still attached by the "rod" that connects the door handles.

Just wondering what you had to do to get those pieces off.

Thanks!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a clip that clamps on to the rod just take a little screw driver and stick it under the end and pry it up then pop the rod out of the plastic bushing.

It is a clip that clamps on to the rod just take a little screw driver and stick it under the end and pry it up then pop the rod out of the plastic bushing.
Thanks! I'll give that a try.....

This should help..

file:///C:/Users/John/Desktop/My%2073/Oklahoma%20Mustaang/Window%20mechanism[1].pdf

Don
Don,

I have a 1971 Convertible that had rusty doors with clear glass and a friend of mine let me have his 2 doors with tinted glass that came out of a '73.

To get the '73 window out of the door remove everything and save the glass with the bracket for last. Now you want to push the glass up until the bracket hits the upper door (even better if you have a helper) but not necessary. Now with one hand holding the glass up and sitting on the rocker with the door open pull on the inner door...more of a jerking motion and keep pushing up on the bracket and very soon you'll have the upper half of the bracket above the door and then it'll be piece of cake. To get the window back in you''ll need a helper. NO DRILLING REQUIRED!

73's are revited as mentioned, just grind them off and then I got a set of bolts used in earlier models from Don to reinstall them.  Some Pics when I did mine.

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

That's a pain in the ..... I've tried 3 hours to remove with the brackets....

Damn Rivets!

My 71 cougar has nuts and bolts! thats much better to work with.

Back