Are gaskets wrong

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
PULLED HEADS OFF TODAY. HAD TO SQUARE HEAD TO BLOCK PORT COVERED, LOWER OBLONG WATER JACKET OPEN. GASKET WAS INSTALED WRONG. BUT TURNING OVER NOW COVERS LOWWER HOLE. DO I HAVE WRONG HEAD

Alan L

\\\

Old headgasket Pic

CAM00059_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The gasket should be marked "FRONT". As stated it will be the front and facing up, so you can read it while laying on the block. Some holes do get blocked in some applications.

PULLED HEADS OFF TODAY. HAD TO SQUARE HEAD TO BLOCK PORT COVERED, LOWER OBLONG WATER JACKET OPEN. GASKET WAS INSTALED WRONG. BUT TURNING OVER NOW COVERS LOWWER HOLE. DO I HAVE WRONG HEAD

Alan L

\\\

Old headgasket Pic
That LOOKS like the correct gasket for a 351 c the small tab sits on the LOWER FRONT CORNER ON BOTH SIDES OF THE MOTOR..The last Picture of the gaskets laid out is how they go you can see the small tabs..I TOOK THE PICTURE AS IF I WAS SITTING IN THE CAR LOOKING OUT THE FRONT

IMG_0255.JPGIMG_0256.JPGIMG_0257.JPG

The gasket should be marked "FRONT". As stated it will be the front and facing up, so you can read it while laying on the block. Some holes do get blocked in some applications.
Not true..The problem with that is ONE will read front ..while facing UP.. the other will be be facing DOWN SO YOU WILL NOT SEE IT MARKED FRONT..EASIEST WAY IS BY THE SMALL TABS

Last edited by a moderator:
Pulled heads and did find passenger side on wrong. After correcting took and extra gallon of coolant to fill and THUMPING GONE. Just took a year to convince myself because never ran hot.. On to next concern.

Alan L

Pulled heads and did find passenger side on wrong. After correcting took and extra gallon of coolant to fill and THUMPING GONE. Just took a year to convince myself because never ran hot.. On to next concern.

Alan L
Congrats on finding the problem! I bet that was a relief after all the extra work.

Back