Ultra rare Mustang option : cruise control

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oy.

For the person who has to have cruise control and have it look period-correct, it is a lot easier to take a factory Ford cruise unit and steering wheel out of a late-1970s Lincoln and re-wire to suit.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't picture me ever wanting to use cruise control when driving my Mustang...too much fun stepping on it! Even on longer trips (of course I don't usually go over 100 miles) I like to feel the power, fun, and excitement.

John

"Speed Control" was not a factory option on 71-73 Mustangs ( not sure about the Cougsr, though). Surely the dealers had units they could install.

Au contraire, my friends. Speed control was introduced in Mustangs in 1969.

I checked the 1972 books I have and nothing as a Factory installed or option Speed control, or cruise control.

and its not even offered in the 1972 dealer accessories brochure (I have it as a PDF attached)

but they did offer a dealer installed AC for our cars :)

1972 options.jpg

attachment.pdf

Attachments

• attachment.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the 1972 books I have and nothing as a Factory installed or option Speed control, or cruise control.

and its not even offered in the 1972 dealer accessories brochure (I have it as a PDF attached)

but they did offer a dealer installed AC for our cars :)
yes...and I have a dealer installed a/c in my car. Mine doesn't work but hasn't been a priority since I always cruise with the top down. :)

I am going to stand by my earlier statement: Cruise Control was not offered as an OEM option on 71-73 Mustangs.

I've read through my Mustang Accessory Price List for 1973 and the 1973 Mustang Illustrated Facts and Specifications Manual and I don't see anything about speed or cruise control. Would there be any info in the shop manuals??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OK...maybe I'm wrong. But I do have diagrams, schematics, and information on cruise control for 69's. Marti's book shows it was not a popular option, only 669 out of 300k vehicles or 0.2%. I guess Ford dropped it from the Mustang line after experimenting with demand in 1969.

I wonder if it was available in Cougars.

Speed Control is listed as an option for 67-69 in my Mustang...by the Numbers book.
Take a look at the sales figures. That in itself will probably explain why the option was later deleted.

That said, for everyone figuring on whether it "could be or could not have been" an option on our cars: Where on the factory wheels would they have stuffed the finger controls? Nowhere.

-Kurt

Speed Control is listed as an option for 67-69 in my Mustang...by the Numbers book.
Take a look at the sales figures. That in itself will probably explain why the option was later deleted.

That said, for everyone figuring on whether it "could be or could not have been" an option on our cars: Where on the factory wheels would they have stuffed the finger controls? Nowhere.

-Kurt

All the early versions used the turn signal stalk to mount the controls.

No factory 71-3 cruise - there was a dealer version though

And the dealer (aftermnarket add-on) versions sucked! We had similar systems on many used cars we sold and I always hated them. Those turn signal stalk controls were commonly broken and loose. Then they were usually held poorly in place by electrical tape which would come off...

The controls placed in the steering wheel for full sized Fords and pickups was the best design in my book.

To the best of my knowledge, Kit and others are correct - no factory cruise control was offered for the 71-3 Mustangs.

Ray

Back