Ultra rare Mustang option : cruise control

Oy.

For the person who has to have cruise control and have it look period-correct, it is a lot easier to take a factory Ford cruise unit and steering wheel out of a late-1970s Lincoln and re-wire to suit.

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

I can't picture me ever wanting to use cruise control when driving my Mustang...too much fun stepping on it! Even on longer trips (of course I don't usually go over 100 miles) I like to feel the power, fun, and excitement.

John

JHawk

J-Hawk-1-1.jpg

JHawk's Garage

was cruise control a factory option or was that a possible dealer add on?

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Guest Kit Sullivan

"Speed Control" was not a factory option on 71-73 Mustangs ( not sure about the Cougsr, though). Surely the dealers had units they could install.

Au contraire, my friends. Speed control was introduced in Mustangs in 1969.

I have never seen one on a mustang (yet) but, not sure I would trust this one.

I checked the 1972 books I have and nothing as a Factory installed or option Speed control, or cruise control.

and its not even offered in the 1972 dealer accessories brochure (I have it as a PDF attached)

but they did offer a dealer installed AC for our cars :)

1223328736_1972options.thumb.jpg.ecf0d32f18e80214b39537016446b6e9.jpg

attachment.pdf

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

I checked the 1972 books I have and nothing as a Factory installed or option Speed control, or cruise control.

and its not even offered in the 1972 dealer accessories brochure (I have it as a PDF attached)

but they did offer a dealer installed AC for our cars :)

yes...and I have a dealer installed a/c in my car. Mine doesn't work but hasn't been a priority since I always cruise with the top down. :)

JHawk

J-Hawk-1-1.jpg

JHawk's Garage

I have the ford service manuals. I will see if it mentions anything.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Guest Kit Sullivan

I am going to stand by my earlier statement: Cruise Control was not offered as an OEM option on 71-73 Mustangs.

I've read through my Mustang Accessory Price List for 1973 and the 1973 Mustang Illustrated Facts and Specifications Manual and I don't see anything about speed or cruise control. Would there be any info in the shop manuals??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1_24_09_13_4_29_06.png

OK...maybe I'm wrong. But I do have diagrams, schematics, and information on cruise control for 69's. Marti's book shows it was not a popular option, only 669 out of 300k vehicles or 0.2%. I guess Ford dropped it from the Mustang line after experimenting with demand in 1969.

I wonder if it was available in Cougars.

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg

Speed Control is listed as an option for 67-69 in my Mustang...by the Numbers book.

Take a look at the sales figures. That in itself will probably explain why the option was later deleted.

That said, for everyone figuring on whether it "could be or could not have been" an option on our cars: Where on the factory wheels would they have stuffed the finger controls? Nowhere.

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

Speed Control is listed as an option for 67-69 in my Mustang...by the Numbers book.

Take a look at the sales figures. That in itself will probably explain why the option was later deleted.

That said, for everyone figuring on whether it "could be or could not have been" an option on our cars: Where on the factory wheels would they have stuffed the finger controls? Nowhere.

-Kurt

All the early versions used the turn signal stalk to mount the controls.

No factory 71-3 cruise - there was a dealer version though

And the dealer (aftermnarket add-on) versions sucked! We had similar systems on many used cars we sold and I always hated them. Those turn signal stalk controls were commonly broken and loose. Then they were usually held poorly in place by electrical tape which would come off...

The controls placed in the steering wheel for full sized Fords and pickups was the best design in my book.

To the best of my knowledge, Kit and others are correct - no factory cruise control was offered for the 71-3 Mustangs.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Guest Kit Sullivan

Kurt, the early cruise controls systems offered on Ford products around that time did not use steering wheel controls.

It was a simple push button on the end of the turn signal stalk. Nearly invisible unless you knew it was there.

It was a single button: push to turn on and set the speed, hold down to increase speed. No resume or manual off selection. Brake pedal disengaged the system.

It may have been an option on 71-73 Cougars, but never the 71-73 Mustang.

I posted on this a while back.

We parted out a Grande that had cruise control that absolutely looked factory. If it was dealer installed they did a fabulous job. It was identical to the Cougar set up but with a Mustang logo in the center of the steering wheel pad.

We did not think much of it and it got tossed.

We parted out many 71 - 73 Mustangs back in the day just to get the 4V Clevelands and the small block C6's. This was back when they were cheap and highly disrespected. Sadly - I am responsible for death of about 40 M and Q code Mustangs that were certainly keepers by today's standards.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's we could buy a running, driving, 71 - 73 with a 4V Cleveland for next to nothing. We looked for engines that had never been opened up and still ran good. Great source of standard bore engines for ours and others race cars.

Oh the stuff we threw away......

Don't hate me - LOL

- Paul

• 5 years later...