turn signal switch maybe??????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1
Hello everyone I need so advice.

I have brake lights and all, but I have no turn signals. The hazards work but nothing with the turn signals. I'm working on a 1973 mustang with a tilt column. Is there any other way to test if its the turn signal switch. Everyting works but the turn signals no lights in the dash nothing on the out side, but the hazard 4 ways work great...... Thank you

Travis

This a shot in the dark, but it might be worth a try: for several years my turn signals would work, and then randomly just stop functioning correctly. Might last 5 minutes, a day or a month...no apparent rhyme or reason.

One day I had the dash top off, decided to reach behind and wiggle the main cluster pigtail inserted into the back of the cluster. It worked.

I eventually replaced the printed circuit and have had no further issues like this since.

Might be worth a look.....

Last edited:
well I have done some internet surfing and it seems that the power to the switch for the turnsignal part of it runs to the flasher first then to the switch if this is correct information then my problem is no power to the flasher... Oh I love electrical problems... LOL

My car has all sors of weird electrical problems so you would love that. I myself perfer it when there are no problems.

I just bought a new flasher I need to put in sicne it was not really up to the task of flashing- I somehow managed to turn the emergency flashers on w/o knowing and saw the talilights and running lights were on- but since they were not flashing I did not think it ight be the hazard lights. When i got the battery chared did notice they almost seemed to pulse a little bit.

Probably your turn signal switch. The e-flasher ties the left and right hand signals with brake lights which essentially bypasses the turn signal switch. I like the idea of the turn signal switch connector: I find about 15% of the time I have to re-crimp those wires.

There are two flashers for the turn signal - one for the hazard behind the radio console and one over the relay assembly on top of the glove box. This is the one for turn signal. Did you have tested and changed them?

Tim

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk

yes I have tested and made sure both flasher work. I'm getting no power to the turn signal flasher, I have power to the 4 way flasher. I may have to tear the dash down and trace the wire back to fuse panel or where ever the power feed is since it seems that the power runs to the flasher then up to the turn signal switch..

The emergency flasher is a separate circuit other than the switch, which is part of the turn signal switch. When you say there is no power at the turn signal flasher, do you mean you have checked with a voltmeter and there is no voltage present with the key on? The circuit is From fuse F-1 on wire 296(white with pink stripe), to the Turn signal flasher connector(C-601), leaves the flasher on wire 44(light blue) to the turn signal switch. I just had a similar problem on my 1969 Mercury, no turn signals or emergency flashers. Over the years of use, the very small brass rivets that hold the turn signal/emergency flasher switch together become loose, causing the contacts to move apart enough so they can't touch when the switch is activated. In my case, with the steering wheel removed, I could apply pressure the case of the switch and make it work. I replaced the switch and both problems were gone. Good luck. Chuck

Just found this thread, have the exact same problem, where is the turn signal switch, what it looks like and what will it take to replace it? my turn signals quit for no reason, went to Autozone ang got a relay, they worked there but by the time i got home they were not working anymore

Pull your steering wheel off and whallah!
I was afraid you would say that:(

How hard is it to replace? how hard is it to pull the steering wheel out? where do i find a switch./

will the regular auto parts have it? like buying local just in case but i will order online if needed

Ordered a switch, will be here in about a week, will see what happens

Last edited by a moderator:
Mexican. You know why the yanks went to the moon?

Because nobody told them it couldn't be done.

Cars are just metal and rubber held together with screws and bolts.

You have our unconditional approval to dismantle anything and everything to your hearts content.

You'll be surprised how easy and satisfying it is .... Here's the catch!

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS GIVE IT A GO.

You can't do any damage that isn't fixable with the support of this forum.

Remember, left handed screwdrivers are metric, right handed are imperial.

Same thing here. I have a new switch, it's just making the time to git 'er done. I'm hoping this coming Saturday will be a good day.

I had problems with my turn signals too. Sometimes they worked & sometimes not at all. I thought I would have to replace turn signal switch. I finally pulled steering wheel off & just cleaned up all contact points. Seems to be working fine now.

Ordered a used switch from a 71 in exelant condition from a mustang vendor online, was taking out 20 years ago, with warranty, then i got to cheing around the turnsignals in the trunk, found a lose ground wire, tightened it and now the turnsignals and flashers work!!! Does it make sense??

Can you post a pic of the loose ground wire? I had my electrical harness completely out of my car for the longest time, cleaned it up, split-loomed the whole tail-light end of it and re-installed when I got the trunk back together - I'm hoping I may have just forgotten to hook something up, if that's the case.

Back