Green plug on engine side

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
I'm trying to determine what this green plug on the engine side runs to. My car is a 302 with AC.
atavamyg.jpg

Also, I noticed the wire that runs to my shifter light is cut. Can someone tell me where it runs or connects to?

Looks to be the transmission harness where it connects behind the engine at the firewall. The green plug should be the missing shifter light connection. In my 72 it was white. If you can remove the shifter cover from the interior look to see if you even have that portion of the shifter harness with the light.

Looks to be the transmission harness where it connects behind the engine at the firewall. The green plug should be the missing shifter light connection. In my 72 it was white. If you can remove the shifter cover from the interior look to see if you even have that portion of the shifter harness with the light.
I have the plug, but it is cut very short. So it just runs up the tunnel and plugs in to it?

That means I go to either wire something myself or find a replacement wire.

Yup, it just runs up the tranny tunnel above the bellhousing and attaches with a specific zip like tie to a stud sticking out of the firewall (like a windoe trim stud) just above the tunnel. Check with Midlife, he may be able to help with a complete circuit.

Here is the strap (or what is left of it) connected to the engine side of the firewall.

tran harness zip strap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The only large green female bullet I have seen is on a 1971, and it has to do with emissions control on the carb. The wire colors are brown/yellow.

How did I do?

The only large green female bullet I have seen is on a 1971, and it has to do with emissions control on the carb. The wire colors are brown/yellow.

How did I do?
So that goes to the carb? Can it be used for the electronic choke?

What do I use for the shifter light?

Yeah, it could be for the electric choke as well. Shifter light is a black female bullet, wire color is brown.

I don't think there was an electric choke on any 71-3 Mustang - Pretty sure they all used the exhaust manifold or heater hose heat.

I think there was a carb throttle solinoid for A/C cars or maybe anti -dieseling

Don

I believe you're right, Don. However, one could use that wire for an aftermarket electric choke, as it will only be active with the key in the RUN position.

I believe you're right, Don. However, one could use that wire for an aftermarket electric choke, as it will only be active with the key in the RUN position.
Not always

If for a/c - it will only be on when a/c is on

If for anti -dieseling- I think that had a vacuum / electric switch - not sure

The plug he is showing is close to the firewall - I think it has to be the shifter light plug - that would be the single plug off the NSS

Not always

If for a/c - it will only be on when a/c is on

If for anti -dieseling- I think that had a vacuum / electric switch - not sure

The plug he is showing is close to the firewall - I think it has to be the shifter light plug - that would be the single plug off the NSS
If it was for AC, the wire color would be green.

We figured some out today and we are still confused about others. There is one black wire that is cut. It appears to be hot only with the lights. It must be the shifter wire. The others are always hot and so we are confused. The original carb had this and so one should have went to it, but it should have been key on only.

Still don't have reverse lights.
agydute2.jpg

OK...black wire should have a large female bullet on the end. Reverse lights go through a square four prong plug past the firewall: a black/red wire and a white/pink wire, IIRC. I'm still of the opinion that your original photo of the green female bullet plug accepts this male bullet. Is that green female bullet hot only when the key is in RUN?

OK...black wire should have a large female bullet on the end. Reverse lights go through a square four prong plug past the firewall: a black/red wire and a white/pink wire, IIRC. I'm still of the opinion that your original photo of the green female bullet plug accepts this male bullet. Is that green female bullet hot only when the key is in RUN?
We never got power to the green plug. I found these pics I took while taking the car apart.
hyru6usu.jpg
e2e3y9yd.jpg

You can see the plugged up in one photo and another (now gone) white plug.

We've not found the compressor plug yet.

OK...based upon it not having power with any key position, I'll bet the green female bullet is for the AC compressor, but you never did say what wire color was on it.

Back