Grande Problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chapa

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande 302
Hello last of first generation pony owners! :) im a proud owner of a 1971 mustang grande that I have been having issues with. For starters the problem that the stang doesnt want to stay on! it fires up with you first start it for the day and stays on for 20 mins weather in idle or driving but after awhile it just sputters and dies. After the first die it will still fire up but the time it stays on will get lower and lower. :'( its so sad to see like she cant breath or something. Will after taking a few looks at the car i found the gas was all rusty and replaced fuel filter and gas tank and the fuel pump that i have it in right now is pumping! once that was replaced it lasted a little long buy still sputters and dies. :huh: This week I am going to replace the carb because im thinking the rust that was in the gase tank may have ruined my carb and the carb is gone so I just bought a whole new one. So if anybody has any suggestions on what I might be able to do or check out besides with i am doing them PLZ let me know ....

As a side note anybody know where i can get a grande vinyl top because my car didnt come with one and i just love the look of the tops! :D

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction,mine acts up like that on occasions, but new filter and it runs fine. Got to replace tank pretty soon
Yea it sucks to have to replace them cuz they are so expensive but this issue have cost me quite a bit of time and money but you always have to look at the good in things that I wont have to worry about fuel and air delivery for awhile :cool: ... Good luck with the tank and if you can get all the parts with the tank as a package them plz do so trust me saves alot of money cuz i didnt and seen the cost after the fact!

what kind of carb did you order? remove your fuel tank, flush it several times throwing in a handful of small 5/16 -3/8 bolts and shake it to losen any rust from inside the tank, rinse tank well and remove bolts from inside the tank. Disconnect fuel linesre move all filters blow air out fuel lines with compressed air, replace all filters with new ones reconnect the whole system and check for leaks.There should be no more contaminated fuel in the system to harm you new carb. What was the old carb and do you still have it?

ps: if your running a mech. fuel pump replace it! Rrust and debris can get stuck by the diaphraim and come looss and plog a jet on your brand new carb that would suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
what kind of carb did you order? remove your fuel tank, flush it several times throwing in a handful of small 5/16 -3/8 bolts and shake it to losen any rust from inside the tank, rinse tank well and remove bolts from inside the tank. Disconnect fuel linesre move all filters blow air out fuel lines with compressed air, replace all filters with new ones reconnect the whole system and check for leaks.There should be no more contaminated fuel in the system to harm you new carb. What was the old carb and do you still have it?
Yup I do still have it and i alsready replaced the gas tank so I cant really do that anymore :-/. But the old carb I had was a edelbrock (not sure of on hte series of CFM). To the outside it looked fine and rather new but from my guesses it needed to be rebuilt becuase the previous owner ran it so much with the rusty tank. I talked to some people hear in dallas and no one wanted to mess with it becuase of the labor they were going to charge me. The new carb I ordered is a edelbrock 1406 with electic choke with a 600 cfm i think. as for the fuel lines i have now blowen them out yet but I really dont have a air compressor to do that right now.:s

Is your gas line coming from the fuel pump to the carb still the original steel one and run correctly?

Is your gas line coming from the fuel pump to the carb still the original steel one and run correctly?
nope they are not steel so I'm guessing that the owner before me replaced them but I'm planning on replaceing those back to the steel lines since it might have rust in the lines that I have in now

The gas lines can be getting hot. Not so much a rust issue but a vapor lock issue.

The gas lines can be getting hot. Not so much a rust issue but a vapor lock issue.
I think there is rust build up in by the diaphram in the fuel pump. if its getting so hot he is vapor locking he has other bad issues that need to be adressed first.

I think there is rust build up in by the diaphram in the fuel pump. if its getting so hot he is vapor locking he has other bad issues that need to be adressed first.
So what would be the bad issue that I need to addrease first? And would it be better to buy steel fuel lines or not for this vapor issue?

I would go with steel lines.

Back