Hagerty Insurance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Big Truck with a diesel and 4 wheels that all drive!
This post is primarily just an FYI!!!

Well, Hagerty insurance seems like a great insurance company and i'm sure it is for most people however.......if you do more than just store the car in the garage and occassionally drive her slowly to a burger joint, then this the right insurance company for you.

i've been dealing with their adjusters the last two weeks and their policy literally dances around alot of clear cut answers. i'm mainly talking about the competition exclusions portion of the policy. when you are buying their policy and the underwriters are telling you one thing and try to get clarification on something, they will just say yes or the old "let me get clarification for you" but when when something does happen they will deny it.

i dealt with a adjuster and they will literally will search the internet and accuse you of doing something illegal. assume something based off the internet that you posted 6 years ago. say that you were racing your car down a highway. they will search for your name on the internet, search for your email for what forums you are involved in. they will search facebook for any and all things you do and will find anything anybody post about you.

i now speak to that person's supervisor and they also will straight up say "we don't have to do this", "we don't have list this" and blah blah blah. not to mention this person is being really short with me.

i file a complaint about this person's attitude and get a call from the "claims department president" i get alot better attitude but the same thing said from him "we don't have to straight out tell people flat out/clear cut answers to thing"

short story short, they gave me alot of instances where they will not cover your car and we spoke for about 20 minutes on when and where they will not cover you. it looks like they will find many ways out not to cover you. if you even think about taking your car to a dragstrip, just know your coverage will not be applied the moment you are in the gates, ALTHOUGH this doesn't quite say that in your policy.

if you even sometimes take ur car to the dragstrip, call up BILL LUTZ for a racing policy.

I spoke with Hagerty and Grundy and went with Grundy for one car. On paper they seem pretty similar but I received very high praise about the Grundy rep and service from some friends. I also have two cars with Condon Skelly. CS was willing to look at specific issues I have with allowed use and gave a definite “OK” for how I wanted to use my cars. In my case I found that having multiple collector cars resulted in them being interested in discussing the specifics of what I want from their insurance.

oh yeah, they also record any and all your phone calls. and it just seems to be a obvious reasons, they can recall back to the phone calls where they want to keep them and not the phone calls that gets record that backed up your justifications of prior underwriters saying that my car just isn't covered when ur on the throttle.

strange how they keep things they want and not the ones they don't.:cool:

i will not do anymore business with hagerty again unless my next car only sits in the garage and goes to church 2 miles away not going any faster than 40mph. :mad: and trust me, after talking to the claims president person, they want to deny any and all claims they can.

ALSO, WHEN U ARE ON THE PHONE WITH THEM DO NOT EVEN MAKE ANY KIND OF JOKE WHATS SO EVER!!! don't let them trap you with questions like "how fast is the car", "what's the quickest you've taken her", "i bet you can really smoke up them tires, huh?" don't fall for any of it cuz a friend of mine just told me (fellow racer) they are trying to get a feel from you on how you use your car and if they can potentionally gauge how u r and possibly deny a claim from you.

also, they know about any advertised and all car shows, races, events and etc in your area. they will try to find your facebook page and try to find anything they can about anything regarding a car related post.

try not to be in the same city as a race track and especially the same day as a race as possible if something were to happen to you because they will accuse you that you were there. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed with Heacock. No claims so nothing to add. But they give a discount to MCA members. The policy requires locked storage and only occasional trips out for cruises and the like. They have an optional rider for more frequent stuff I think.

Some advice:

You should record all the phone calls, too. There are decent apps for this out there. Defeats selective recall.

Call your state board of insurance and make a complaint with them. I've found insurance companies get much nicer when they get a letter from the insurance commissioner.

Haven't had issues with Hagerty...but haven't had any claims either but my policy is very clear that there is no coverage on a race track or during a timed race event. It sounds as though they suspect you were on track or racing the car when the damages happened?

Track insurance can be VERY expensive and normally only offered by specialty insurance companies.

Some classics were born to be raced. Nostalgia dragsters, vintage race cars, street legal muscle cars, you name it – we love them too. So, we created affordable Guaranteed Value™ coverage to protect them while they’re not on the track.

•Coverage does not apply when your vehicle is on-track or during a timed race event.

•Vehicle must be stored in a locked garage

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed with Heacock. No claims so nothing to add. But they give a discount to MCA members. The policy requires locked storage and only occasional trips out for cruises and the like. They have an optional rider for more frequent stuff I think.

Some advice:

You should record all the phone calls, too. There are decent apps for this out there. Defeats selective recall.

Call your state board of insurance and make a complaint with them. I've found insurance companies get much nicer when they get a letter from the insurance commissioner.
GRC compels the insurance company to be more friendly. If you acquire the Commissioners assistance ask them if the company is to held accountable for compliance standards. You may see a different outcome and friendly customer service. If they do attempt to engage in the above mentioned "hey how fast is it" games...just ask them if they have a problem being recorded for record keeping purposes.

Haven't had issues with Hagerty...but haven't had any claims either but my policy is very clear that there is no coverage on a race track or during a timed race event. It sounds as though they suspect you were on track or racing the car when the damages happened?

Track insurance can be VERY expensive and normally only offered by specialty insurance companies.

Some classics were born to be raced. Nostalgia dragsters, vintage race cars, street legal muscle cars, you name it – we love them too. So, we created affordable Guaranteed Value™ coverage to protect them while they’re not on the track.

•Coverage does not apply when your vehicle is on-track or during a timed race event.

•Vehicle must be stored in a locked garage

being on the track is a very broad! everybody could and will have their opinoin on where a track starts and begins. companies like grundy states clearly that you are not covered once you enter the gates of a facility. hagerty doesn't to any extend say that. now where and when a track begins and ends is a term every insurance company has their opinoin on. but when it comes to paying out for something they didn't make clear, they will start worrying about what they do and say not to pay.

I use American Modern Home Insurance, you get insured through their Classic Division called "Classic Automobile Insurance". It's more a Specialty Insurance Company and they'll pretty much Insure any Performance Vehicle. I've used them for (5) Built Supercharged Gen 2 Ford Lightnings, a Supercharged Gen 1 Lightning, A Supercharged 99 Stang GT Convertable, a 99 Cobra Convertible, A Supercharged 03 Terminator, A Prostreet Nova, (2) Prostreet Rangers, a Prostreet Sierra, and now my 73 Mach1. It's the only way to go and for 200 - 600 a yr you can get the fullest bumper to bumper coverage you have ever seen. It's a Agreed Value Policy so the more you put on it the more it cost but it's dirt cheap compared to reg insurance

PS

I actually get mine through Natiowide Insurance which I've been using for many decades, most normal insurance agency's can offer you Specialty Insurance.

Back