Tips to remove rear transmission seal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super-Mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1978 Ford F-250
Hello,

Tonight I was trying to remove the rear transmission seal on my dads 71 coupe c4 transmission. I spent a long time trying to get it to come off but It wouldn't budge.

Does anybody have any tips or tricks to get the seal off? The transmission is still in the car.

Thanks For Your Help!!

Not sure exactly what the problem is but here is a video of how to replace it. Part shops will usually lend you the tool to remove the seal with. At 3:30 into the video it shows how they removed it. Wasn't a C4 but they are all removed the same way. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Tonight I was trying to remove the rear transmission seal on my dads 71 coupe c4 transmission. I spent a long time trying to get it to come off but It wouldn't budge.

Does anybody have any tips or tricks to get the seal off? The transmission is still in the car.

Thanks For Your Help!!
Good question, that's on my "to do" list on my C4.

Not sure exactly what the problem is but here is a video of how to replace it. Part shops will usually lend you the tool to remove the seal with. At 3:30 into the video it shows how they removed it. Wasn't a C4 but they are all removed the same way. Hope this helps.

The problem is that the seal will not come out no matter how hard I tried. I'm going to see about getting one of those tools mentioned in the video. Then maybe the seal will come out.

I have used a straight screwdiver and hammer many times. Just be VERY careful not to gouge the transmission housing where the seal sits. If its really stuck Just keep punching holes through it with the screw driver and it will eventually come out. Might need some needle nose pliers or something to pick it out. it might come out in a few pieces but it will come out. A little barbaric but it works. No need for a fancy tool LOL! If you do accidently gouge the case a little, put some silicone on the new outer edge of the seal when you tap it in. Make sure you start it straight and use a socket that matches the diameter of the seal to tap it in.

Many years ago I used an awl to punch a hole in the seal, then inserted a sheet metal screw, when it bottoms out it pushes the seal up the thread and out of the transmission. I now have the tool.

Back