new gauges

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I have a low rust/lots of dents '71 sportsroof.
While I’m making room for the’71 to be delivered I thought I’d play with a spare gauge pod. Other than the typical reflections from the flat lenses I like it a lot.

DSCN2463.jpg

DSCN2479.jpg

DSCN2481.jpg

The tach is Autometer Pro Comp 6851 (playback and dual shift lights) and the speedometer is Autometer Pro Comp 5189. They have a lot of similar sized options that would work just as well (and be a lot cheaper). Their Sport Comp line is pretty similar. I made extra work for myself because I removed the bezels from the tach and speedo to fit them into a ’67 pod. Since I found an original Shelby tach and speedo set for that project these AMs were available for “Jill” (my ’71).

The photos of the ’71 pod with two tachometers has the AM bezel still in place on the 8000 rpm tach (left side). If the AMs still had their bezels I could remove the Mustang’s silver bezel and it would look like photo with the 8000 rpm Sport comp tack. It looks like with a little triming of the pod it would center nicely. Using the orignail AM bezels rather than the Mustang bezel should make the conversion a lot easier. Since I’m working with gauges that have already been opened I will have to seal the lenses back up or they will get dusty inside.

I haven’t finished the mounts but it will be a lot easier than some other conversions I’ve done. I’ll make some sort of “spider” that uses the original three mounting bosses to apply force to the back of the gauges to secure them. I’ll either cut/fit some rings or pack something to go between the body of the new instruments and the I.D. of the pod’s openings.

Here's my wife's '74 Vette and her '68 Camaro. The pod is for my '68 Camaro.

The mechanical speedo and basic tach are some of the lower cost gauges that would install the same as the ones I'm using.

DSCN2493.jpg

DSCN2498.jpg

DSCN2500.jpg

DSCN2502.jpg

DSCN2486.jpg

IMGP2722.jpg

DSCN0124.jpg

105-5156.jpg

105-5160.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you hook up the speedo - I presume the original speedo works off a cable drive and the new one is electronic?

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you hook up the speedo - I presume the original speedo works off a cable drive and the new one is electronic?

I’ll be running a TKO600 which has both cable and electric speedometer outputs. I have the electric speedo for this conversion. The mechanical speedo is about eighty bucks cheaper but the ease of calibrating the electric is very nice as is the lack of needle flutter.

My wife’s Camaro has the electric speedo too but I used Autometer’s GPS sending unit on hers. It’s nice but sometimes you can drive for a couple of miles before it acquires signal. Keeps the mileage down:angel:

AM has a signal generator that screws into the mechanical output of a trans too.

I received a question about this gauge swap so I thought I’d add some information here. I think the easiest way to use the five inch AutoMeters that have a bezel like the Sport Comp shown here is to remove the Mustang’s black and chrome bezel that is held in with two screws and then mount the un-modified AM tach or speedo. By removing a little bit of the Mustang's pod material (shown in red) the gauge can be centered in the pod. I couldn’t quite hold it and photographic by myself but it can be aligned. I think it looks fine without the Dremel work but if you want to be picky…:dodgy:

When I make the bracket that holds the gauges I add photos. As I’ve mentioned I don’t know if the added depth of the tach will interfere with anything under the Mustang dash since I don’t have access to my ’71 yet. On ’68 Camaros I did have to move a steering column brace to make room for this type of modification

DSCN2799.jpg

DSCN2797.jpg

DSCN2812.jpg

DSCN2816.jpg

Goes this have the indiactor for bright lights and bad brakes somewhere?

I noticed neither.

A few years ago I saw mustang that had cool looking floresent gagues in it but have no idea where they cam from. Someone makes some that i found online that only have digital displays of digits- the ones I saw had an elecronic needle!

Goes this have the indiactor for bright lights and bad brakes somewhere?

I noticed neither.

A few years ago I saw mustang that had cool looking floresent gagues in it but have no idea where they cam from. Someone makes some that i found online that only have digital displays of digits- the ones I saw had an elecronic needle!

These gauges don’t have provisions for warning lights so I’ll be adding them somewhere. One option is to drill the factory pod and add lights or LEDs that protrude slightly into the line of sight (blue and red circles) forward of the new gauges. LEDs might be too directional to see during the day but I’ll cross that bridge later.

warninglights.jpg

Back