Luxstang goes old school

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
My 285/40/18 rear tires have run out of tread and have not been street legal for some time now so I have decided to swap wheels and go old school for a while before I spend a big chunk of money on two tires.

I spraybombed my old Magnums matte black, cleaned the tires and the white letters and put everything on the car.

Looks kinda badass but I still like the modern rims better.

It's funny how it completely changes the look of the car. It looks less lowered and less "designed".

The big rims make it stand out. Like this it is only another convertible.

What's your take on this?

yhu4e9u6.jpg

ganybe6a.jpg

e4yme8a6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this look. I see all types of cars with big wheels and tires. This look with the blacked-out Magnums is unique. It really brings out or helps to draw attention to all the other black on your car.

Just my 2cents...

Ray

You hardly see big wheels on vintage cars here in Europe.

I wonder what it looks like with the top up. Haven't tried that yet.

I've never been a big fan of blacked out wheels, but these aren't horrible or anything. ;)

Personally, I would've blacked out just the centers, and left the chrome rings alone - then they would've looked a lot like your 18"s to the casual observer. It also would've tied in the chrome (bumpers) as well as all of the black-out trim you have on the car as well.

Hey - it's still a good look, and at least keeps you on the road while you're waiting for new tires. ::thumb::

I like it. Makes it look aggressive!

-Travis

Personally, I would've blacked out just the centers, and left the chrome rings alone -
I couldn't do that. The only reason I painted them was that one rim started to rust, one was pitted and the other two had been scuffed by the previous owner who had already painted them silver.

I tried to restore them, removed the POs paint, painted the black triangles and polished the crap out of the rest but they were too far gone to be saved.

I just did not want to put them on in that nasty condition as it would have degraded the whole car.

Not bad! Could look pretty neat with blacked out bumpers and windshield trim. Not telling you to spray paint your bumpers and trim, but it would be a cool look.

On a side note: I did black out the windshield trim a few months ago with Plasti Dip but I had to remove it last weekend. I preferred the black trim by the way.

Personally, I would've blacked out just the centers, and left the chrome rings alone -
I couldn't do that. The only reason I painted them was that one rim started to rust, one was pitted and the other two had been scuffed by the previous owner who had already painted them silver.

I tried to restore them, removed the POs paint, painted the black triangles and polished the crap out of the rest but they were too far gone to be saved.

I just did not want to put them on in that nasty condition as it would have degraded the whole car.
Kinda figured as much, and good call. You did a great job getting them painted/cleaned up - like I said, it's still a good look even though I'm lukewarm on blacked-out wheels. ::thumb::

DROOL. I wouldn't even try trim rings on it.

I vote Lux's car as the most fantastic '71-73 on the forum under the following reasoning: No matter what he does with it, it's effortlessly cool. It's the Tom Jones of Mustangs.

Old school NASCAR convertible.
Yes. YES.

-Kurt

Thanks Kurt!

To Greg and Wendell: it's by no means a definite look.

I had found a cool color to paint the rims with but it interacted with the black triangles and peeled after a few days.

So I decided to go black on the rims because I had one black spray bomb left and the rims could not go on the car in their original state.

This is purely a makeshift solution until I am willing to cough up the cash for new tires.

But I must admit I am also (again) looking at different rims. I found a company that produces authentic Trans Am style minilite rims in 17 and 18 inches. (Not vintagewheelworks, theirs don't look right).

I am very tempted although I had decided to take a break in spending money on the car for a while.

That is also why I can't make myself buy new tires because I don't wanna buy tires that would ultimately limit me in the purchase of new rims.

Back