72 Ford Mustang Hardtop Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

72MustangCoupe

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
2014 Mustang Convertible
I'm a proud owner along with my dad of a 1972 mustang hardtop. I bought this car November 27, 2013 and I have been working on it ever since. I recently turned 15 and all of my life I have loved old mustangs. My dad works for Ford and he owns a 2014 convertible in ruby red. Now a little bit about the car.... It's the base v8 - 302 2v. Car was originally gold glow when I bought it... Had a white vinyl top and the doggy bowl hubcaps. A family had bought it from the original owners who bought it in 72. The original owners had immediately ziebarted it at the dealership and the car has never seen rain. It was in amazing condition from pictures. A family bought it and a month later sold it to their daughter. She has had it for several years... It's been underneath a tree for quite sometime. When I picked up the car we drove it home and she gave me the dealership invoice, owners manual with cover, and a fact book all from 1972. This car is basically rust free... Just has body work to do. Removed the interior and found the floor pans to be 99.9% solid. Just coke spilled carpet rust. Very clean. I have two build sheets as well. Now to find a car in such good condition, and to have all of the manuals and sheets... Is this quite rare? What do you all think? Picture is day 1 of pickup at the lady's house... I had not even touched the car yet. Still sitting in mine when me and my dad went to pick it up.

image.jpg

Welcome to the site from Virginia! Sounds like a great find. The Ziebart rustproofing saved my 73 convertible too. Great stuff until you try to remove it! Does your coupe have one of the Ziebart stickers? Keep the pics and updates coming.

Welcome from Indiana! Rest assured you are not the only teen in the forum. Sweet car BTW.
Thanks!

Welcome to the site from Virginia! Sounds like a great find. The Ziebart rustproofing saved my 73 convertible too. Great stuff until you try to remove it! Does your coupe have one of the Ziebart stickers? Keep the pics and updates coming.

Thanks. I'm just 30 minutes new to this site. No stickers, but I do have the plugs all around the doors and rocker panels. I think I may be the only teenage member on here... I'm only 15 but love old mustangs. I guess I'm a gear head too. Haha. I have a few questions about me and my dad's restoration. We plan to keep all interior original... Just a new dashpad and reupholster the drivers seat. Everything is super clean... Now would you recommend a rear spoiler? I can't make up my mind... I know I want a nasa hood with the matte finish stencil and the hockey stick stripes as well as a chin spoiler. Where these all factory options on the coupes back then as well? Or just the fastbacks and mach 1's? Here is an interior picture as [/align]well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@ the NASA hood-may as well go the extra mile w/the ram air kit and the 'ram air quote' on the stencilled area. You won't regret it

@ the NASA hood-may as well go the extra mile w/the ram air kit and the 'ram air quote' on the stencilled area. You won't regret it
Not too sure about the ram air... It's a 302 2v.. Was ram air available for a 302? I am not sure if it could have been an available option on a base 302 mach 1 at the least. Let me know. Thanks everyone for all of the welcomes!

a shout out from MY VAN....down by THA RIVER!!

nice car young feller! You did well, and yep there are a few teens here and a bunch of us that use to be teens ...some of us that are still mentally a teen....which is how I like to see life!!! GREAT MUSTANG and welcome.

Welcome young man! That is a very nice car to start off with.

My suggestion would be to leave the spoilers off. The coupes did not come with either of them. If you change you mind in the future, they are bolt on items. Initially I would spend my time and budgeted money on making sure the mechanicals were perfect, then go to the interior and make any necessary repairs, then I would focus on the exterior.

You have a lot of neat stuff that came with the car. I would make color scans into a computer file of as much as possible and put the originals away. Those types of paperwork are impossible to replace.

As to replacing the hood with a NACA/NASA ducted hood-if you do this you should also change to the sportlamp grill in my opinion, they just look right together. I would keep the original hood and store it. Also if you get the car painted, get BOTH hoods painted at that time. That gives you future options to return the car to it's original state without a large expense. Flat hoods are not reproduced at this time and may not be available if you decide to return it back to the as produced state.

You are lucky to have a father willing to help you take on such a project. Remember that if you ever feel like giving up or selling it. If you do you'll never get it back.

a shout out from MY VAN....down by THA RIVER!!

nice car young feller! You did well, and yep there are a few teens here and a bunch of us that use to be teens ...some of us that are still mentally a teen....which is how I like to see life!!! GREAT MUSTANG and welcome.
Thank you! Love your mustangs! Here is what the finished project will look like!

My suggestion would be to leave the spoilers off. The coupes did not come with either of them. If you change you mind in the future, they are bolt on items. Initially I would spend my time and budgeted money on making sure the mechanicals were perfect, then go to the interior and make any necessary repairs, then I would focus on the exterior.

You have a lot of neat stuff that came with the car. I would make color scans into a computer file of as much as possible and put the originals away. Those types of paperwork are impossible to replace.

As to replacing the hood with a NACA/NASA ducted hood-if you do this you should also change to the sportlamp grill in my opinion, they just look right together. I would keep the original hood and store it. Also if you get the car painted, get BOTH hoods painted at that time. That gives you future options to return the car to it's original state without a large expense. Flat hoods are not reproduced at this time and may not be available if you decide to return it back to the as produced state.

You are lucky to have a father willing to help you take on such a project. Remember that if you ever feel like giving up or selling it. If you do you'll never get it back.

Thank you for your opinion. I think your right. I think to keep it really low profile and clean I won't get either a rear spoiler or chin spoiler. Basically I am just trying to make it as factory and stock as possible. Because it is COMPLETELY original, i want it to stay that way. From your input and learning that the coupes didn't have a chin spoiler or rear spoiler, I think we will just leave those off and stick with the grill and hood. And yes, the factory hood is nearly perfect. I have only seen a few dings that can be taken right out. My dad said that we will be painting both hoods and store the factory one in a temperature controlled barn we have at our farm. It will be stored properly. My father is a head manager and engineer at ford and runs the body shop. He has a big interest in mustangs just like me and we cannot wait to take it to cruise ins and auto shows. Thanks! Here's all of the ephemera we were given with the car!

Thank you for your opinion. I think your right. I think to keep it really low profile and clean I won't get either a rear spoiler or chin spoiler. Basically I am just trying to make it as factory and stock as possible. Because it is COMPLETELY original, i want it to stay that way. From your input and learning that the coupes didn't have a chin spoiler or rear spoiler, I think we will just leave those off and stick with the grill and hood. And yes, the factory hood is nearly perfect. I have only seen a few dings that can be taken right out. My dad said that we will be painting both hoods and store the factory one in a temperature controlled barn we have at our farm. It will be stored properly. My father is a head manager and engineer at ford and runs the body shop. He has a big interest in mustangs just like me and we cannot wait to take it to cruise ins and auto shows. Thanks! Here's all of the ephemera we were given with the car!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dude here is one with spoilers and stripes. 1 of the coolest 1s I have seen. It's a hot look. You will find that here we all believe its your car build it your way :D original or modified you going to love it. Jeff73 has given you a few very good tips for enjoying your car as is for now.

25kjspe.jpg
[/img]

These are the cars floor pans. The doors, fenders, decklid, and every removable piece besides the wheels and engine are off. We are getting ready for paint.

Here is just a few more pictures of the restoration so far. I'm using an iPad and it is only letting me upload one at a time I think.

Vinyl top is gone now, but this was I think day two: used bleach, a bucket, and a brush. Car had sap buildup from sitting underneath a tree for so long. Clean vs. Dirty! Hopefully you guys can see the difference.

The top cleaned up quite nicely but we had to remove it because of rust bubbling at the top. Nothing major. If we didn't remove it in time there would be greater issues to deal with.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back