1972 Mustang Coupe Restoration

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72MustangCoupe

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
2014 Mustang Convertible
Father and son build. I'm fifteen and bought this car November 27, 2013. Car is 100% original including paint. Basically 99% rust free because it was coated with ziebart. Original owners had never let it see rain. Lady we bought it from had a few fender benders and lots of body work needs to be done. Currently almost 7 months into the restoration. Prepping the car for paint. Floor pans and everything are perfect. I have the original dealership invoice, owners manual, a 1972 ford mustang fact book, and two build sheets. It's a base 302 2v with ginger interior and gold glow. What does everyone think? Is this a nice car? Rare for its condition? This is a day one photo right when we went to pick the car up. We have removed the vinyl top and plan to paint it the original gold glow, keep all original interior as it is near perfect but reupholster the drivers seat. New nasa hood with matte black stencil, chin spoiler and hockey stick stripes running down the car. What kind of exhaust would you recommend as well? I love a loud rumble.

image.jpg

Sounds like it will be nice. I also have a 302 and I installed headman shorty style headers and then had a custom 2.5" exhaust with an X pipe and Magnaflow 18" performance mufflers. I think it sounds great, nice modern muscle sound with much less drone than my flowmasters on my 2006 GT.

Sounds like it will be nice. I also have a 302 and I installed headman shorty style headers and then had a custom 2.5" exhaust with an X pipe and Magnaflow 18" performance mufflers. I think it sounds great, nice modern muscle sound with much less drone than my flowmasters on my 2006 GT.
You should post a video of your exhaust so I can get a good idea of what I would like! The car is completely disassembled besides removing the rear window and the engine to paint the engine compartment. Need some motivation right now. The car restoration process is making me impatient. Haha.

Very nice project for you and your dad. Good luck with it and keep us posted with pics.
Thank you! I have a few questions with factory options and such as I want to build this car with all factory only options. I love old cars that remain original, as it serves as a piece of history for others to see. It shows exactly how they came out of the factory and how they see presented on the roads in 1972.

Last edited by a moderator:
72MustangCoupe,

Wow, Nice find. They are getting harder to find in good shape these days. I would recommend to try to keep some of the original parts in hand, ones that you replace, due to some parts that are not reproduced.

Found this Ford Ad for 1971, Ford added a "Sports Coupe" in 1971 with Boss/Mach 1 styling.

msm590.jpg

Very tasteful and has the WOW factor!

mustang7173 :D

72MustangCoupe,

Wow, Nice find. They are getting harder to find in good shape these days. I would recommend to try to keep some of the original parts in hand, ones that you replace, due to some parts that are not reproduced.

Found this Ford Ad for 1971, Ford added a "Sports Coupe" in 1971 with Boss/Mach 1 styling.

msm590.jpg

Very tasteful and has the WOW factor!

mustang7173 :D
I have seen that ad. It's really cool but I wonder if it was the same for 1972. I don't know but to me I love the sight of a car restoration that builds a car to how it originally was and not so many modifications. I just want to make sure all of the details I put into this car were all factory options for 1972.

You should post a video of your exhaust so I can get a good idea of what I would like! The car is completely disassembled besides removing the rear window and the engine to paint the engine compartment. Need some motivation right now. The car restoration process is making me impatient. Haha.
Here's my '71 Mach 1 with 351C-2V, with Hooker Competition Headers (ceramic-coated long tube), Pypes 2.5" stainless w/X-pipe, and Pypes Street Pro mufflers.

Sorry for the wind noise - it's got a monster 7-blade fan up-front. I had my buddy goose it while I took the camera around to the back.

Here's my '71 Mach 1 with 351C-2V, with Hooker Competition Headers (ceramic-coated long tube), Pypes 2.5" stainless w/X-pipe, and Pypes Street Pro mufflers.

Sounds good! How's the mach 1 today? Looks like it was in the middle of restoration. I'm really looking into something like cherrybomb glass packs. My dad said as soon as you step on it they blow your ear drums. To me personally I love a loud rumble or a fast idle and I love the sound of a larger cam. My dad doesn't want to install a larger cam though. What do you all think about flowmaster 40s?

Here are my floor pans. I will continue to post more photos tonight. Car is bare now.

One tiny rust spot in the passengers side floor pan. At the factory they forgot to install a drain plug in the hole and it caused rust.

Almost 99% rust free

Here is the dealership invoice, owners manual, warranty facts, and a 1972 ford mustang fact book from 1972. Pretty cool.

Here it is on the day I finished my school finals and summer started. My mom took me home and I began work on the car.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back