Arizona Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBrown55

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang coupe
Howdy,

I'm getting my 1973 base coupe, (351C, FMX) improved and roadworthy after sitting in a carport not running for the last four years. Upon initial inspection and troubleshooting, I found that the reason it had been sitting for so long unrepaired is because the fuel pickup was almost entirely blocked. Three "mechanics" and the young PO had been into this "troubleshooting", and in the end, they told him to replace the timing chain (appreciate that), which did not supply more fuel to the stock carb, and did not make it run. Cleared the pipe and the car ran. Hated to tell him.....but I did, trying not to laugh.

All that, and since then, I've added an edelbrock 2V RPM AIR intake, 600 cfm edelbrock carb, dual exhaust with flowmasters, fuel pump, new rear main seal, pan gaskets (AFTER peening the sculptured pan back to flat) new motor and trans mounts, new shocks, hoses, water pump, harmonic balancer, power steering pump, alternator, leaf springs, and of course, wheels and tires. I kept all of the stock parts for anyone who may someday want to return it to stock...which will never likely happen. Who would do that?

At this point, what remains is some front end work, (tie rods, ball joints, bushings, as needed, to eliminate on-road clunks, etc.) a little paint work, some interior work, and install or repair the few creature comforts, heat, A/C, the stock AM radio, etc... all of which I'm finding good help with here. Looking forward to getting it finished and taking it out for a run to Ocean Beach. Eventually.

Here she is after getting it started and chasing around the neighborhood making too much noise and exuding noxious odors. (F/A mix) See ya around!

2v2ac0m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to you with your '73 Mustang.

I would say "Arizona Dream".

Howdy,

I'm getting my 1973 base coupe, (351C, FMX) improved and roadworthy after sitting in a carport not running for the last four years. Upon initial inspection and troubleshooting, I found that the reason it had been sitting for so long unrepaired is because the fuel pickup was almost entirely blocked. Three "mechanics" and the young PO had been into this "troubleshooting", and in the end, they told him to replace the timing chain (appreciate that), which did not supply more fuel to the stock carb, and did not make it run. Cleared the pipe and the car ran. Hated to tell him.....but I did, trying not to laugh.

All that, and since then, I've added an edelbrock 2V RPM AIR intake, 600 cfm edelbrock carb, dual exhaust with flowmasters, fuel pump, new rear main seal, pan gaskets (AFTER peening the sculptured pan back to flat) new motor and trans mounts, new shocks, hoses, water pump, harmonic balancer, power steering pump, alternator, leaf springs, and of course, wheels and tires. I kept all of the stock parts for anyone who may someday want to return it to stock...which will never likely happen. Who would do that?

At this point, what remains is some front end work, (tie rods, ball joints, bushings, as needed, to eliminate on-road clunks, etc.) a little paint work, some interior work, and install or repair the few creature comforts, heat, A/C, the stock AM radio, etc... all of which I'm finding good help with here. Looking forward to getting it finished and taking it out for a run to Ocean Beach. Eventually.

Here she is after getting it started and chasing around the neighborhood making too much noise and exuding noxious odors. (F/A mix) See ya around!

2v2ac0m.jpg

Those rims look great on that car.

Ron

Hi all, and thanks for the warm welcomes!

I got very lucky finding this sweet survivor in a lightly shaded carport....and there's another red '73 convertible in even better shape at the same place with better shade, only NOT driven for years...and both are ex-Copperstate Mustang Club cars, so well cared for, but basically abandoned to the carports years ago by their 93 year old purchaser. This one got used by the son and grandson to its detriment, but it's a survivor, and I love bringing it back to it's former glory. It is truly saved from a long, slow death.

Worst thing yet? Rope seal RMS after 4 years of drying out. 3 days of micron by micron "progress" with a sneaky pete. Seriously, ROPE SEALS? I don't remember a shortage of rubber when I graduated HS.....

PS: Thanks Ron. Those are 15x7 (pseudo) Torq Thrusts in charcoal with 215/65s on them. I think they suit the car.

Oh.. and if this link will work here.... it now sounds like so....

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xfp1/v/t43.1792-2/10335023_10202132747101119_1295593767_n.mp4?oh=8a3248f07dc6ff6e2fa906728668ce18&oe=53A79C29

Howdy,

2v2ac0m.jpg
Welcome from Latrobe, PA. I am no mechanic but know what I wanted in my 72 convertible. As mind has a 2 bolt main and wanting to keep the 2 barrel intake manifold w/a 4 barrel carb for high torque at low speeds-had a problem all too frequently w/F/A mix off adjustment everytime I turned around so switched to an EFI on a 700 cfm 4 barrel solid throttle body as a lot of vibrations off the motor w/all that jack rabbit takeoffs. The best way to see what I have in mine is to see my COTM for March but does not include down to the specs as the lift~solid lifters....however along w/the performance and best efficiency for a Cleveland w/9.5 compression @ 350+hp and 3.5:1 rear axle w/limited slip posi traction bars-heavy duty shocks it also has all the creature comforts for long distance cruises. Took 10+ years and only 2,500 miles on it mostly in testing it but now its my turn to enjoy driving it just after a little tweaking the rear power disa

Nice car.

Welcome from coastal Alabama. Be sure to add a pin to our member map under the fun stuff tab at the top of the page.

Funny, your thread title "Arizona Mustang" makes me think of a Mustung II every time I see the thread listed.

The name of one of the internal-Ford styling bucks shown to focus groups during the development of the Mustang II was called "Arizona", along with an "Anaheim" and some others.

Just a meaningless factoid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back