In Search of Oil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
My car likes Valvoline VR-1 10W-30 racing oil, just try and find it!

There was a mom & pop auto parts store that sold it but they went

out of business. Contacted several local stores that carry Valvoline

products just not that one. I asked if they could order a case and the

answer was No. So, we turned to Amazon. Six quarts delivered to

my door at a competitive price. Next time you hear someone

complain about losing business to the online stores........

mike

Why do you run racing oil in your engine? Is it seriously high-performance enough to need that?

Why do you run racing oil in your engine? Is it seriously high-performance enough to need that?
I need the zinc and phosphorous. This engine was installed 2 1/2

years ago and probably has less than 5,000 miles on a long block

I bought from Don of OMS. All parts have D0AE markings and

whoever rebuilt this engine also put cam in it. We measured valve

lift at 0.58 which is consistent with a factory Ford racing cam. Other

than that I have no information on who did the rebuild except they

did a thorough job. The engine sat in Don's garage still

soaked in machine oil and wrapped in plastic on a pallet, until he

shipped it to me and it wound up in the Grande. It is a quench

Cleveland with a cam and 770 Holley. Does it qualify as a high

performance engine, I don't know but I am treating it like it is.

Just need the zinc.

mike

The store brand oil at Dollar General is rated SF so it has zinc in it do not know about the phosporous. It says on the bottle somewhere that it is not for use in cars built after 1989. Although I am certain that people who buy it ignore that warning.

You might want to grab a drink and read this.

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
Thanks for the post, it is good read.

My engine may be new but the rest of the car is 42 years old,

so I don't drive it hard. At one point in the article they rated

my oil at 103,000 psi where 105,000 is considered "outstanding".

So it is ok oil. I refuse to put any additives in the oil or use

a synthetic. But that is just me.

mike

ow, that was like reading an infomercial for Oil Extreme Concentrate. When someone fails to name names and attempts to explain it away my "BS" flag goes full mast. But that's just me. Camguard is another excellent additive if your leaning that way.

Here's another oil mind bender for those so inclined: http://www.positivespin.us/MotorOil.htm

Bought the same from amazon two weeks ago. Tried three local suppliers. They only carried straight 50 and a few other odd ones.

I work at Napa...that oil is in our warehouse and can usually be ordered and in store the same day.

That additive is a calcium-based additive. Oil companies have been increasing the calcium content, and lowering the magnesium content in motor oil quietly for a few years now. The calcium is less surface aggresive than magnesium.

Long-term use of diesel-rated oil in a gasoline engine leaves severe deposits on spark plaugs in as little as 20,000 miles. Just be aware you will have to change your plugs sooner when runnung CJ-4.

Long-term use of diesel-rated oil in a gasoline engine leaves severe deposits on spark plaugs in as little as 20,000 miles. Just be aware you will have to change your plugs sooner when runnung CJ-4.
I won't make it that far. Once we're finished putting it all together, she'll be drained and filled with a standard gas engine oil.

Back