351 Cleveland losing prime

72 Mach1 is losing prime in the gas line. I replaced almost everything in the restore. New gas tank and lines, new mechanical fuel pump and carb. I cleaned the sending unit but didn't replace it, I have a new one now to put in but I just don't think that is my problem. I got it cranked and it ran like a charm. Try to crank it a week later and there is no gas in the lines. I took the mechanical fuel pump off and put an electric one at the tank. Get it cranked and it runs fine, try to crank it a week later and there is no gas in the lines. I can take the line lose from the fuel pump and suck the gas through and get it flowing and hook it back up and it runs fine. Gas cap on or off, same thing. It's finished and ready for the July 4th parade but I'm scared to death it's going to just cut off in the middle of the parade because of losing prime and as many Chevy's there are in the parade, it would be quite embarrassing. Any suggestions?

72 Q Code Mach 1, 351C, Toploader.

69 Torino GT Convertible, 351W, FMX

03 Anniversary Harley Davidson

31 Deluxe Tudor

91 F350 Lariet Crewcab 4x4, 460, automatic

2012 Escape 4x4

92 Feature Edition Mustang

82 F100 Shortbed

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ummm,, i'm not sure you even have a problem here...

if you let the car sit a week, there is some drain back but also the fuel bowls evaporate.

usually if i don't drive for a week the procedure is, get in car, crank for about 20 seconds, then press pedal to reset fast idle and reset choke, then crank, usually it fires up after a couple of seconds.

are you saying no matter how long you crank after a week it refuses to pump fuel before you need to reprime the lines?

it seems like the car is then fine again unless it sits for a week. It isn't a modern car where you turn the key and the fuel pump kicks on pressurizing the line to the fuel injector.

the carb is going to be stubborn after sitting for a few days, but after you get the fuel to the carb and the bowls refilled it starts right up. if you daily drive it there shouldn't be a problem.

Hot starts or fuel boiling is another story.

No, it will not start unless I take the line loose from the tank and suck it to get it flowing again. then hook it back up to the electric fuel pump and then you can hear the difference in the fuel pump pumping actual gas instead of air. I've got several of what you call non modern cars and when you take the line loose from the fuel pump, there is gas in them. There should always be gas in the line between the tank and the fuel pump unless you run the car out of gas.

31 Deluxe Tudor

2012 Escape 4x4

82 F100 Shortbed

72 Mach1 is losing prime in the gas line. I replaced almost everything in the restore. New gas tank and lines, new mechanical fuel pump and carb. I cleaned the sending unit but didn't replace it, I have a new one now to put in but I just don't think that is my problem. I got it cranked and it ran like a charm. Try to crank it a week later and there is no gas in the lines. I took the mechanical fuel pump off and put an electric one at the tank. Get it cranked and it runs fine, try to crank it a week later and there is no gas in the lines. I can take the line lose from the fuel pump and suck the gas through and get it flowing and hook it back up and it runs fine. Gas cap on or off, same thing. It's finished and ready for the July 4th parade but I'm scared to death it's going to just cut off in the middle of the parade because of losing prime and as many Chevy's there are in the parade, it would be quite embarrassing. Any suggestions?

like your torino-lots of room and bet w/the whole body-handles better than the no rear 71-3 mustangs though would take a lot to rid me of my 72 stang covertible-cotm march for next year. Mustang dynasty-mikke

1_12_09_14_11_07_03.png

I'm trying to sell the Torino or trade it. You wouldn't believe the crazy offers I've gotten.

31 Deluxe Tudor

2012 Escape 4x4

82 F100 Shortbed

When you disconnect the fuel line from the pump (the line coming from the tank), does it start pouring out freely, or do you really have to suck on it to get it flowing?

If the latter, there has to be something preventing gravity from doing its job. I recently replaced my fuel pump, and as soon as I took the fuel supply line off the pump, gas started pouring out, and I had to plug it with a golf tee to keep gas from coming out.

There is either a vapor lock, that sucks gas back toward the tank, or maybe a crack in the fuel line that lets the line become empty over time, or some sort of clog in the works.

It very well could be that you have a cracked or otherwise messed up sending unit

That's what I keep saying, when you take the line lose from the pump it should be full of gas and like you say, start pouring out. It doesn't matter if you drive it every day or once a year. My electric fuel pump is right next to the tank so the fuel line to the pump isn't a foot long. The fuel line is not cracked from the tank to the pump and if it was, it should leak till the tank is dry. When I first asked this question quite some time back, I got all kinds of responses from cracked fuel line to bad fuel pump. I replaced all the lines from tank to carb and a new mechanical fuel pump on. Still the same problem. I have the new sending unit, I guess I'll try it. I was just thinking there was some kind of vacuum problem. Like the vent line was clogged or something. For gas to go out of the tank, air has to get in, correct?

31 Deluxe Tudor

2012 Escape 4x4

82 F100 Shortbed

Yes, you are correct. BUt I thought you said the same thing happens with the fuel cap removed. That would eliminate any vent problems by creating a huge opening!

But if your sending unit was cracked inside the tank, allowing gas to vaporize / leak into the tank, then you might lose your prime. And if it's a small enough leak, your electric pump may be able to componsate for the "hole in a straw" syndrome.

That makes perfect sense. I will try the new sending unit. Thanks! It's always good to discuss problems and get other peoples views.

31 Deluxe Tudor

2012 Escape 4x4

82 F100 Shortbed

How about fuel level, does it do the same thing with a half to a full tank? Because our sending units are located near the bottom of the tank, with more than a half tank of fuel the pick up tube would be completely submerged, with no air leaks possible in the sending unit/pickup.

Your electric fuel pump should be able to pull some air, anyway, as the mechanical pump can. Anyplace where the fuel line is higher than the tank would be a likely place for air to leak into the line.

Because the mechanical fuel pump has a check valve in it, fuel should not return to the tank, even if you have something that is causing a vacuum in the tank, like expansion/contraction and plugged vent line.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Interesting. It does it no matter how much fuel is in the tank. Whatever the situation is, when I remove the fuel line from the tank to the electric fuel pump, no fuel will come out the tank. It should be pouring out shouldn't it? Gravity would make it come out right?

31 Deluxe Tudor

2012 Escape 4x4

82 F100 Shortbed

Yes but the filter is going in the right direction and that still doesn't explain why when I take the hose off the electric fuel pump to the gas tank which is only a foot long with no other connections or filters and hold it down to the ground, no fuel comes out. I can suck on it and hold it down to the ground and gas just starts pouring out.

31 Deluxe Tudor

2012 Escape 4x4

82 F100 Shortbed

I would say the sock is gunked up with varnish, or maybe water, that keeps the gas from flowing freely. But, this doesn't explain where the fuel in the line is going. Either pump should be able to suck harder than you can, if it's in fuel.

Are there any inverted "U"s in the line that could be getting and holding an air bubble?

Do you have a bypass fuel regulator or fuel filter with a return line? If plumbed wrong they can circulate air instead of fuel.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Don't know if this will help you but I had a similar problem on a car and found a loose clamp (didn't look loose and I thought sure I tightened it) that was allowing the fuel to drain back into the tank. Now when I do any work on the fuel system, I go thru the clamps several times...with a socket, not a screwdriver.

Any updates?

When you suck on the line and get fuel, does it keep pouring out, or does that just get enough fuel in the line to prime the pump?

If it keeps pouring out, then that kind of eliminates a clogged sock. And would point even more to a "hole in the straw" somewhere inside the tank, which eliminates the syphon effect, which gets gas to the pump before it starts working.

I wonder if the vapor line is clogged? Have you checked that? It's the line over the transmission, going to the vapor/charcoal can.

I was thinking that too but it was mentioned earlier on the thread that the issue occurs with the gas cap off too. I was thinking that there was a vacuum in the tank after running awhile. That would cause fuel to drawn back into the tank again when the engine was shut off. After the hose is removed air would be sucked back in eliminating the vacuum. With the cap off it destroys that theory. This is an interesting problem and I would be interested in the finding out want the issue was.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

I'm still working on it. Have not had time to put the new sending unit in yet. I went back and tightened all the hose clamps. I was thinking of the vapor line also. Is that the hose that is hooked at the top of the gas tank? I understand with the cap off it would have nothing to do with it but I'm trying everything.

31 Deluxe Tudor

2012 Escape 4x4

82 F100 Shortbed

I'm still working on it. Have not had time to put the new sending unit in yet. I went back and tightened all the hose clamps. I was thinking of the vapor line also. Is that the hose that is hooked at the top of the gas tank? I understand with the cap off it would have nothing to do with it but I'm trying everything.

Yes, that's the one. The vapor line goes to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment. My understanding is that it was supposed to capture any gas vapor either from the tank or air cleaner to prevent it from escaping into the air. With the gas cap off and the issue still occurring it pretty well eliminates a plugged line theory there. Weird things happen so you can remove the rubber hose connection at the rear axle and just blow air through that line from the engine compartment to eliminate that from the cause. I would be surprised if that fixes the problem but you never know.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

It just cut off again. I've been cranking it every day for the last week. Been cranking up fine. I decided to let it sit there and run today. After about 4 minutes at an idle, it cut off. No fuel coming out of the gas tank. I took the gas cap off and took the little one foot line from the tank to the fuel pump off and no gas coming out at all. I know I can blow into the line and hear bubbles in the gas tank, I can suck on the line and get gas to come pouring out. I just fill like it has to be the sending unit. I don't know if it's cracked or the screen thing is getting clogged and when I take the air hose and blow back through it, it sort of unclogs it. If I can tomorrow, I'm going to pull the sending unit.

31 Deluxe Tudor

2012 Escape 4x4

82 F100 Shortbed

Replaced the sending unit. I took the hose off the pump and there was no gas coming out. I held it towards the ground and it started pouring out. I drained a little over three gallons out of the tank till it was empty. Put the new sending unit in and put the three gallons of gas back in it and nothing was coming out the line when I held it towards the ground. I sucked on it and it started pouring out. I hooked the hose back up and it cranked right up. Fuel pressure was registering and it ran about 5 minutes and the pressure went to zero then it cut off. I changed fuel pressure regulators and cranked it again and it ran a few minutes and the pressure went to zero and cut off. The line to the charcoal canister is not clogged and I had the gas cap off. Darnest thing I have ever seen. Been dealing with this problem since I put the car back together.

31 Deluxe Tudor

2012 Escape 4x4

82 F100 Shortbed