headers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 coupe, 460 c6, 3.73 possi
ive heard that alot of people are against long tube headers bc theyll hit the ground, i always planned on going with the hooker headers 6115 but now im not so sure about it... any sugestions?

I can't speak to ground clearance but, it seems like I remember some difference in exhaust ports between passenger car 429/460 and CJ/SCJ. Or I may be having some sort of false recollection. You may want to check that before you buy. Chuck

I can't speak to ground clearance but, it seems like I remember some difference in exhaust ports between passenger car 429/460 and CJ/SCJ. Or I may be having some sort of false recollection. You may want to check that before you buy. Chuck
Yes the passenger car heads have a different exhaust port than the CJ head. Need to specify which flange you want when ordering.

alright thanks, i have just a stock passenger 429 but im pulling it in a few days but the plan is to build it to the scj, do you have a price on the shorty headers? i looked but couldnt find one?

alright thanks, i have just a stock passenger 429 but im pulling it in a few days but the plan is to build it to the scj, do you have a price on the shorty headers? i looked but couldnt find one?
They were around $500 uncoated IIRC. I suggest getting them uncoated and making sure they fit first and then send them out locally if you want coated headers. I had to ding the tube next to the steering box a little to get them to fit.

I have the hookers ,and the front two tubes hang under the engine crossmember.You will scrape them on speed bumps , but they fit good (no hammer needed).Clearances were close but they fit and I have a 4 speed.They were the only header made for it back in the 80's when I put the 429 in it.The FPA header looks like a nice piece.The exhaust ports are different sizes on the passenger car heads and scj.Iirc the 6115 will work on the aluminum scj.

The big tube (2 1/8, 3 1/2 collectors) Hookers hit everything taller than a snake's ass. They also require a hole in the passenger inner fender apron. I've been through two sets. The latest are already flat under the cross member.

For a daily driver I recommend the smaller flavors.

both sets of hooker headers have poor fit. im very happy with hedman hustler headers 1 3/4 x 3" nice ground clearance but interferes with z bar. had to hyd. clutch swap. twice as happy!

Back