72 sprint conv up for sale soon - 2F03F184285

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1, 2003 Cobra coupe
20140628_102621.jpg20140628_103014.jpg20140628_102647.jpg20140628_103117.jpgThe owner is looking to sell. I told them w/o seeing it in person it is worth maybe low teens. It has some issues (Wheels, top iffy and non-stock paint) but IF the body is sound and the interior is good and the engine checks out they can ask whatever price they want but I doubt they will get much more than my estimate. What do you all think?

Last edited by a moderator:
With that paint job and no closeups of the bodyside, there is nothing to judge the condition of the car with.

One can sculpt a trailer queen out of Bondo and nobody would know it by looking at the average .JPG-compressed beauty shot - especially with a light color.

The fact that this car looks obviously neglected and ill-maintained doesn't say anything in its favor.

-Kurt

7500 to 8500.

with the fact it lives in Floriduh It likely has rust issues. the permeation of the salt air will work that metal inside out. With a new top and paint, any engine work?, interior? you'll top out at the value of the car instead of OVER the value.

with the fact it lives in Floriduh It likely has rust issues. the permeation of the salt air will work that metal inside out. With a new top and paint, any engine work?, interior? you'll top out at the value of the car instead of OVER the value.
I'll take a Florida rustbucket any day over a New York or Philly rustbucket.

-Kurt

Hey Guys,

Tell me, do these Sprint verts generally command more money than regular verts do as a rule? Limited production run etc, etc ..............

Kurt,

Do they lay down salt on the roads in places like New York in winter time?

Greg.:)

Hey Guys,

Tell me, do these Sprint verts generally command more money than regular verts do as a rule? Limited production run etc, etc ..............
One of 50. The only Sprint convertibles were produced for the '72 Cherry Blossom Festival Parade.

Kurt,

Do they lay down salt on the roads in places like New York in winter time?
To quote Mater from Cars: "Is the Popemobile Catholic?"

-Kurt

I want a Sprint Convertible, but why do they always come up for sale when I don't have the extra cash to spend !!!!

I might end up making a Tribute Sprint convertible one of these days.

I dont know if I missed it being a "USA" car. At the moment I see two things. Its painted kinda like a USA car and we dont know the facts. Second I see this car having more value to US and not the open market.

:huh:

USA car? I know there are some with the Canadian markings but I have always known these cars as 1972 Mustang Sprints.

1972 Sprint convertibles always command a premium. Even thought they are super rare, and I would not mind owning one, I'd take any R, C or J code car (any bodystyle) over it with similar condition and price. Just me.

Ray

:huh:

USA car? I know there are some with the Canadian markings but I have always known these cars as 1972 Mustang Sprints.

1972 Sprint convertibles always command a premium. Even thought they are super rare, and I would not mind owning one, I'd take any R, C or J code car (any bodystyle) over it with similar condition and price. Just me.

Ray
taxi-driver-talking.JPG

Ray..... if your looking to "correct" me.... youz talk'n to me....youz talkn to me?

Ford's USA Sprint Cars promoted our Olympic Team achievements in the double Olympic year of 1972.

USA Sprint ok that sounds right

I guess there were a few Canadian Sprints? So what were those based on?

D - you are funny

huh? Means I did not know it the way you presented. -Asking a question of you. I am always learning. Thanks for providing your info.

Sounds like you want to call them USA cars. I just thought Sprint better described the special model of our cars.

A person could say all cars built in USA are indeed USA cars. Just trying to avoid confusion.

Ray

USA Sprint ok that sounds right

I guess there were a few Canadian Sprints? So what were those based on?

D - you are funny

huh? Means I did not know it the way you presented. -Asking a question of you. I am always learning. Thanks for providing your info.

Sounds like you want to call them USA cars. I just thought Sprint better described the special model of our cars.

A person could say all cars built in USA are indeed USA cars. Just trying to avoid confusion.

Ray
1972-Ford-Mustang_Sprint-317821350162128.JPG

1971-1972-1973-ford-mustang-80.jpg

girlsprint.gif

Note the "proper" USA decal ??? Although I am well aware that the word Sprint is also in the name, the USA....kinda stuck with me. So I refer to the USA part of the name and you refer to the Sprint portion of the name. You are absolutely correct that cars built in the USA could as well be USA cars. However my 67 convertible has the "Sprint" package so you could easily say it is a Sprint car too???.....but for me, I've never seen a USA decal/logo on one of the millions of other cars, consequently I dont call all of them USA cars just the 72's.

LOL....NO BIG DEAL!! :cool:

Cool. I thought (but not really sure) the earlier Sprints were actually called Sprint 200's. When it comes to the earlier stangs I really haven't owned many of them for much time so I am sorta clueless :).

I was kinda hoping you or someone might help me better understand the Canadian connection to these 1972 USA Sprints?

All good. Thanks Dana. I have learned quite a but from you. Appreciate you keeping it real.

Ray

Heck, it might not even be a real sprint. The paint scheme is wrong. I could paint my 73 to look like a sprint.
Will e, that' kinda where I was going with it. No pictures of the interior (because most people wouldnt go to that much trouble to swap out colors) to assist one in thinking it was the real one of 50. It could be!??? But if its real we would know by the missing information.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ray,

The only thing I can conclude on the difference is there was none! With exception given to the Maple Leaf for Canada on the quarters. Appartently those were good times for the USA and Canada relations coming together at the Olympics so Ford in an attempt to revive sales gave Canada a version too assisting in the upcoming celebration. I dont know of any other facts that state a difference. But I'll give you props, the Canada car was called "Sprint" and ours was "USA Sprint"

so it's kinda like going into a Vietnamese restaurant...your looking at the menu trying to figure out what your about to order, the dialog between you and the waiter is difficult and the waiter points at a dog... "same" "same"

:D:D:D

We can tell if its a real Sprint by the Vin number, the Sprint registry has all 50 convertible vin numbers listed.

" ( 50 ) Identical Sprint Convertibles were assembled in March at the Dearborn plant. The VIN numbers for the "50 of a Kind" convertibles were sequential from 2F03F184256 to 2F03F184305"

http://www.1972mustangsprint.com/

We can tell if its a real Sprint by the Vin number, the Sprint registry has all 50 convertible vin numbers listed.

" ( 50 ) Identical Sprint Convertibles were assembled in March at the Dearborn plant. The VIN numbers for the "50 of a Kind" convertibles were sequential from 2F03F184256 to 2F03F184305"

http://www.1972mustangsprint.com/
YEPP'rs true enough having that serial stands the test. Of course I should point out the hot super chickie in the ads .....is well into her 70's and haggerdly looking.

VAMach...... with all the banter back and forth we havent forgotten that you have a valid interest in this vert. I should also acknowledge the pic's did reveal what appears as "USA" or "Sprint" interior which is a good attempt at a clone OR the REAL thang. I also noted the seller has a great potential as a FLIPPER so ....go see it and inspect it yourself. I think I speak for quite a few that we would be delighted to see the serial number on this car. Will he give you a pic or detail???

We have our fingers crossed for you this is the REAL DEAL. Keep us posted on the communications. :cool:

Back