Which Battery

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 M-code Grande
The battery currently in my car was purchased April 2013 and

is now pretty much useless. This was bought from O'Reilly, I

don't want a replacement. What brand battery do you use?

I have heard AC Delco and Interstate are the best.

mike

I use an Optima Red Top that utilizes Spiralcell technology in both my Mustang and Camaro. I just replaced the one in Mustang after over 8 years of no issues. Another good one is the Odyssey. I'm sure this question could lead to a big debate... :)

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a search on Johnson Controls- Saft. I've seen good and bad performance/durability with almost every brand. Chuck

I use an Optima Red Top that utilizes Spiralcell technology in both my Mustang and Camaro. I just replaced the one in Mustang after over 8 years of no issues. Another good one is the Odyssey. I'm sure this question could lead to a big debate... :)

John
The battery is actually an important part of your car :s

You expect a battery to gradually phase out and not just stop

working. Like tires, their demise should be predictable.

That is the second mention of Odyssey. Also checked Exide.

Something called Flat Plate AGM. My concern is it weighs 46

pounds. Will my battery tray handle that?

mike

mike
Motorcraft 110.00 3 year replacement, 100 month pro rated

Believe it or not, I have had an Auto-Zone "Gold" battery in my Mustang for over 17 years with no issues!

It is garage-kept and on a float charger at all times while parked...which surely has a lot to do with its longevity.

I agree, overall I have had the best luck with Motorcraft.
Believe it or not, I still have the original Motorcraft Stock battery that came new in my 2004 Mach 1. I moved it to my son's 2001 Bullitt a couple of years ago and it's still cranking fine. Ten years and counting....

mike
Do you have a part number?

Thanks.

mike

Believe it or not, I have had an Auto-Zone "Gold" battery in my Mustang for over 17 years with no issues!

It is garage-kept and on a float charger at all times while parked...which surely has a lot to do with its longevity.
I have the same AutoZone battery for almost 10+ years, and I have never had to change it, even after the long cold winters.

So far the best battery I have owned.

I bought a JC Penney lifetime Battery back in 1977 to replace the original Motorcraft group 27 battery. They have been buying my batteries since then. The most recent replacement they bought me is a Die Hard Gold group 27.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a JC Penney lifetime Battery back in 1977 to replace the original Motorcraft group 27 battery. They have been buying my batteries since then. The most recent replacement they bought me is a Die Hard Gold group 27.
Our local JC Penny has not had automotive section for many years. Did Sears take over the warranty?

Our local JC Penny has not had automotive section for many years. Did Sears take over the warranty?
Ours does not have an automotive department either. Firestone took it over for a while. The last time I just went to the customer service counter in the store and they told me to go buy whatever I wanted and they would reimburse me when I brought back the receipt. They gave me cash. Back in the late 90s they tried to buy me out for a couple hundred dollars, but I declined.

Back