Mystery indicator light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 ram air
[url=https://ibb.co/R9rNbJs][img]https://i.ibb.co/376vdPj/DSC06636.jpg[/img][/url]
I bought a 1972 mach 1 351 ram air car last week. Just to the left of the headlight switch there is an indicator light sticking through a hole. There is no bezel aroung this light. It appears to be a "factory" socket as it is plugged into the wiring harness under the dash. The owners manual shows two possibilities. The first one is #31 REAR WINDOW ELECTRIC DEFROST INDICATOR LIGHT (OPTIONAL), (the car doesn't appear to have any kind of rear window defrost), the second one is #26 PARKING BRAKE WARNING LIGHT (OPTIONAL). The wire colors on this light socket are PURPLE-ORANGE and LIGHT GREEN-RED. I cannot fing this light or wire colors on the wiring schematic downloaded from this web site. Anybody got an idea of what this light is for?

Thanks

I bought a 1972 mach 1 351 ram air car last week. Just to the left of the headlight switch there is an indicator light sticking through a hole. There is no bezel aroung this light. It appears to be a "factory" socket as it is plugged into the wiring harness under the dash. The owners manual shows two possibilities. The first one is #31 REAR WINDOW ELECTRIC DEFROST INDICATOR LIGHT (OPTIONAL), (the car doesn't appear to have any kind of rear window defrost), the second one is #26 PARKING BRAKE WARNING LIGHT (OPTIONAL). The wire colors on this light socket are PURPLE-ORANGE and LIGHT GREEN-RED. I cannot fing this light or wire colors on the wiring schematic downloaded from this web site. Anybody got an idea of what this light is for?

Thanks
I am going to say it's the PARKING BRAKE WARNING LIGHT. My schematic says that the Purple-Orange H (hash) and Light Green-Red D (dash) go to that light, its a 73 schematic, hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the word "PARK" was rubbed off, or something, eh?

Easy enough to check for parking brake: turn key to ACC, then engage the parking brake. Does the indicator light go on?

jbojo and steve, thanks i'll check 73 schematic. eric, no bezel on light and iyman ...see picture of light. The hole is roughly cut,..kinda suspicious. I've had the 67 for 33 years. done. needed a new project.. just got the 72 mach. the interior's a pretty shot and this light was an unknown THANKS much guys...

DSC03043.JPG

DSC02899.JPG

no warning light above glovebox"FASTEN SEAT BELTS" ('71 -'72)= maybe "BELTS"

warning light above glovebox"FASTEN SEAT BELTS"('72 -'73)= maybe "PARK" on the bulb holder(option, see switch on park brake pedal)

In my '71 Grande the light nearest the headlight switch says "BELTS"

and the one next to that says "PARK".

My Marti report lists "deluxe belts/warning light" so I am guessing

"PARK" in your case.

mike

It may be an aftermarket light someone added for an alarm " activated" light.

It may be an aftermarket light someone added for an alarm " activated" light.
No his pic shows a factory housing for the PARK or BELTS light.

warning light above glovebox"FASTEN SEAT BELTS"('72 -'73)= maybe "PARK" on the bulb holder(option, see switch on park brake pedal)
I checked my light today and it only has "Brake" on it

I have the same light, just noticed it. Haven't figured mine out either. I do have rear defroster grid but not hooked up. Obviously that isn't it since you don't have it.

And my parking brake isn't hooked up so can't be that.

Last edited by a moderator:

I checked my light today and it only has "Brake" on it
That's what mine says too. '73 vert

Back