Leaf spring shackles length...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I am getting ready to install my new leaf springs from Maier Racing. Unfortunately, they lower the car 1-1 1/2 inches. My car sits level now and due to my long tube headers, I can't lower the front at all..

If I use factory spring shackles and these springs, my rear end gets lowered by at least one inch. I know a lot of people don't like to use them but, how much longer of a shackle would I need to use to make up that additional inch+?

Thanks everyone..

You don't like the look of your car sitting flat. Just trying to get a bit of clarity on what's to be achieved before having a go at problem solving. You could always sent me your headers for free and that would solve both our problems :p

Sorry.. I do like the way it look flat. But I need new springs and they lower the car. I would like to then raise the car an inch or so to make up the difference..

You can get add a leaf kits don't know if that would get you a inch of lift but. Mr Gasket used to do adjustable shackles maybe look on summit or jegs for both or hit Don at OMS

Or you could just have your springs reset at a local spring place

Last edited by a moderator:
Cazsper,

Many of our mustang parts suppliers have additional length shackles available. They look exactly like the stock ones, only longer.

I used them on my car you cannot notice the additional length and it solved the leveling issue.

Thanks, Jay

Cazsper,

Many of our mustang parts suppliers have additional length shackles available. They look exactly like the stock ones, only longer.

I used them on my car you cannot notice the additional length and it solved the leveling issue.

Thanks, Jay
+ 1 , I did the same thing on mine and I think mine came from mustangs unlimited

+2

I raised mine by putting on a 1 inch longer shackle. I am not planning to run it on road courses so raising it a little wasn't a big concern for me as was the bottom clearance.

Perfect. Thank you..

My car has shackles that lift the rear about three inches to accommodate the stupid wide tires it came with. The extended shackles have 3 positions on them so they can be adjusted to taste. I will drop 2 inches most likely and cut. Afraid I might have interference with exhaust in back.

Back