Replacement Top DYI

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylorg

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible 351 Cleveland 2V Automatic
Good evening.

I was wondering if anyone has replaced their convertible top themselves? Is this a task a novice like myself might try? I've replaced Jeep tops but that is the extent of my experience.

Thanks

Taylor

Wish I could help, Taylor. I was fortunate that my top was in great shape when I got it. We have a lot of convertible owners here, so I hope they might be able to chime in shortly. Good luck.

Doc
Sorry Taylor, my top is in pretty good condition and I haven't had to go down that road yet.

Ken

Hi Taylor,

Unfortunately I don't know either, because I had mine replaced when the car was at the body shop for the paint.

I'd like to know too, as I was planning to maybe go back to a white top instead of the black.

Let's hope somebody will chime in with their experience.

I need to put a new top on my car also. So, I need the same help.

Mike

I had a new top put on my 73 last spring. I had all the weatherstrip replaced on the top frame and the vinyl "well" replaced that the top store's in behind the back seat. The shop charged $600 for all the labor. They did a great job. If your just doing the top then it should be about half that. I thought about trying my self, but I figured it would be hard to get it right.

This link may help you decide if you want to try it yourself:

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/sitemap/view/ford-mustang-convertible-top

I did my own on 2 mustangs. The last one I did on the green one took a 3 day weekend. It is doable and you dont need a lot of special tools except for a staple gun and Stainless staples, but you need a truckload of patience.

Plan on lots of time to mock up the new top, make adjustments, remove, install again, adjust, stretch, remove again etc etc.

Plan on ordering the top kit and the reinforcement layer or underlayer I think its called, these are the heavy canvas piees that insulate the vinyl from the metal frame, unless your originals are in good condition.

Shops around here charged $500 a few years ago so I did it to save money, but if you have the money, it is money well spent, definetely not a project that I would do for the fun of it.

Also the vinyl comes with some insignificant markings like a crayon line here or a tiny notch there, pay attention to those they are for lining up with the frame or body.

If you tackle it yourself let me know by PM I will be glad to help

PS. its nothin like a Jeep top, the kit you get looks like raw vinyl with a few stitches done for the top curve and the window edge

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my own on 2 mustangs. The last one I did on the green one took a 3 day weekend. It is doable and you dont need a lot of special tools except for a staple gun and Stainless staples, but you need a truckload of patience.

Plan on lots of time to mock up the new top, make adjustments, remove, install again, adjust, stretch, remove again etc etc.

Plan on ordering the top kit and the reinforcement layer or underlayer I think its called, these are the heavy canvas piees that insulate the vinyl from the metal frame, unless your originals are in good condition.

Shops around here charged $500 a few years ago so I did it to save money, but if you have the money, it is money well spent, definetely not a project that I would do for the fun of it.

Also the vinyl comes with some insignificant markings like a crayon line here or a tiny notch there, pay attention to those they are for lining up with the frame or body.

PS. its nothin like a Jeep top, the kit you get looks like raw vinyl with a few stitches done for the top curve and the window edge
:goodpost::goodpost:

Thanks for the information. Looks like I will be hunting me up someone to do it. Patience is not something I have a lot of these days.

Taylor

Thanks for the information. Looks like I will be hunting me up someone to do it. Patience is not something I have a lot of these days.

Taylor

LOL must be a Tenn thing

I also paid a shop to install the one I bought on Ebay for the 72 sprint. They had to order the padding. It came out pretty nice - just a few wrinkles. My top was the original one.

driving 003.jpg

I'm in the final stages of doing my top myself. I am so detailed, its better I do it myself but I'm sure I didn't save any money. I do hope to have a better job once done than if I hired it. I did one on a '66 Olds Delta 88 about twenty years ago in a weekend, but only had to do the vinyl. My Mustang had a new top done about 2000 but it was obvious a poor job. There were wear tears in spots on the top from rubbing while down that shouldn't have been there. I got more pieces of padding and extra parts in the new kit than were on the car as well. The Ford manual I saw online had pictures but not very complete, mostly worthless. Lots of figuring out the puzzle, common sense, and looking at every picture I could find of the inside rear with pads, but I think I have the pads on right. When I had the top off the frame, I cleaned it up and repainted it. The top is going on well. I have the rear curtain on and started on the top itself. The two rear quarter trim sticks are done. Seems all tight and no large wrinkles. I spent many hours on each of the three trim sticks & the top adjusting, measuring, removing staples and re-doing to get right. Not for the faint of heart to cut the first holes for the screw/bolts that hold the top to the car. Screw up and wasted hours and $$. I went on the loose side and tightened up, just in case. Meant I knew I would be re-doing, but worth it to me. But then each time you take the trim sticks on & off means leaning under the window, over the rear seat, and taking 4-8 bolts out that are frustrating to line back up and find the holes. Starting on the rest in a few weekends. I'll post a picture when I get it done.

Got mine replaced after my last deployment. Ran around $800 including top w/ glass, padding & labor. Turned out great and a 3 year warranty to boot. I figured that if I tried it and screwed it up, I would be out a top, if the shop screwed it up, they would replace it. Well worth the money.

Marty

Hi all

I got my new top fitted last week

it cost me $900 at the upholsterers

I supplied the roof

thats here in OZ so maybe a better deal

could be had over there in the US

mine came back with a few wrinkles

but was told they would straighten out

when the summer came around

and the hot weather would shrink it

thanks John